Sunday, December 14 {EDITED}

Start from the beginning

The Ambrose family headed out into the churchyard where the parishioners milled about and waited for horses and sleighs to be brought round. What came next was an intricate dance few could perform as well as Mrs. Ambrose. With her daughter in tow she spoke to all the right people at all the right moments so as to gain an introduction for her daughter to the eldest son of the late Mr. Colston.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Ambrose," Archibald said, his eyes twinkling.

Something stirred in Holly's chest as she found herself with the full attention of a tall gentleman with very fine eyes, but she couldn't know what. She mostly felt embarrassed at her mother's unabashed matchmaking and wondered what would be said about her behind closed doors. The last thing she wanted to be marked as was a social climber.

"Likewise," she replied. The Colstons were a family of such greater consequence than her own, she didn't dare to entertain the thought of a union between their families. Her older brother and sister had both made great marriages for themselves; she hardly expected her family would be so lucky as to make a third.

Archibald looked like he wanted to say more but his horses and sleigh pulled up along the street and he bid them goodbye.

Bundled under furs and plenty of blankets, the Ambroses set off for home in their own open sleigh. They passed through the village, to wave at acquaintances, though Holly suspected their route had been planned by Mrs. Ambrose so she could parade her daughter around in her new gown.

The horses trotted out of the village streets and into the countryside. Their estate was small by most standards, but everyone knew they sat on the best land in the county. As they pulled up the tree lined drive, Holly couldn't help but swell with a little pride at the sight of the chimneys of Ambrose Manor puffing white clouds of smoke against the steely sky.

They hurried inside with noses red from the cold, and Colonel Ambrose headed straight for his study while Mrs. Ambrose didn't even pause to begin instructing the housemaids on setting out the Christmas decorations. It was the ninth hour for putting out the decorations before Holly's sister Hortensia and her brother Horatio and their families arrived the following day. As soon as the grandchildren arrived, they would have to close the parlor doors so they wouldn't see the tree until Christmas Eve. With overcoat still on, Mrs. Ambrose adjusted the paper garland that hung between the evergreen boughs.

Holly made herself scarce before her mother could put her to work. She had to finish embroidering handkerchiefs with initials for each of her relatives, a task that was best when it went uninterrupted. She took her sewing kit and squares of silk into the library and sat in a leather armchair near the window so she could watch the snowfall throughout the afternoon. The work went quickly as she was far from her mother's endless stream of prattle and gossip to distract her from making her stitches.

The daylight didn't last long, as winter nights came quickly and lingered well into the morning. She put aside the sewing, and rather than trouble a servant with lighting a fire in the library, she reluctantly joined her mother who was overseeing the final touches to the parlor.

"It looks lovely, mother," Holly said before placing a kiss on her mother's cheek.

Her mother eyed the evergreen monstrosity that nearly brushed the ceiling with brow furrowed. "You don't think the tree needs more tinsel?"

"It's perfect," Holly replied, giving the maids an apologetic smile. Only yesterday Mrs. Ambrose had made them remove and then replace all of the ornaments so that she could get them just right. Thankfully her mother couldn't do much else as the maids excused themselves to ready for supper.

 Thankfully her mother couldn't do much else as the maids excused themselves to ready for supper