Sunday, December 14 {EDITED}

The church bells rang out through the rolling of hills of the little hamlet, and parishioners of the sleepy town of Hillbury scuttled in from the cold. Between her mother and father, Holly Ambrose entered the chapel and took a seat in her family's usual pew, breathing deep the warm, pine scented air.

If Mrs. Ambrose was excellent at one thing, it was husband hunting. Not for herself of course, but for Holly, her youngest and very much unmarried daughter. Holly was not yet three and twenty, but the way her mother carried on about her lack of suitors you'd think she was approaching spinsterhood. On that crisp winter morning, Mrs. Ambrose was in fine form as she scanned the crowd that turned out for the Sunday Advent service from their pew at the back of the chapel. Holly would have laughed if she hadn't been so mortified to see her mother craning her neck irreverently during prayers.

Holly always loved church during the advent season. The singing of yuletide hymns, the bright red poinsettias that cascaded down the steps to the choir, and the swags of evergreens along the arcade. It always stirred warm feelings and memories of Christmases past.

Her mother's incessant matchmaking wouldn't spoil her spirit. Instead, Holly fixed her attentions on Pastor Bishop's sermon, the message of which encouraged the parish to remember the real reason of the season. The sermon of giving buoyed Holly's spirits and she hoped the parish would give generously with the workhouses and orphanages so full of weary souls.

After the service, they waited in line to give their greeting to Pastor Bishop.

"Did you see Archibald Colston look over at us during the last hymn? I dare say I'm glad we had Augusta put you in the new emerald velvet dress. He appeared to be quite taken with you," Mrs. Ambrose whispered to her daughter.

Holly cast a look over her shoulder to see Mr. Colston standing behind them with his own mother at his side. He gave her a small smile when he caught her eye. Holly couldn't help but return the smile as she found him rather handsome in his Sunday best. He had the bearing of a true gentleman, tall and graceful with an elegantly slim figure - though his dark hair and warm brown eyes were more than enough to attract any woman's attention. Holly turned back before he could see her blush.

She ignored her mother who now strategized how the two should be properly introduced. While they both came from families of good fortune, the Colstons were much closer to nobility since the late Mr. Colston had been knighted for services to the crown. Unless Archibald introduced himself, Holly would need one of his current acquaintances to introduce her to him.

They reached Pastor Bishop and greeted him with friendly tidings.

"A delightful sermon, Mr. Bishop," Holly offered, giving him a curtsy. "I do hope the alms boxes were made full."

"I share those hopes, Miss Ambrose," David Bishop said with a boyish smile, inclining his head towards Holly. He was two or three years her senior and had arrived at their parish only that spring.

Holly had quickly grown fond of the fresh-faced clergyman's impassioned sermons. She pushed her hands deeper into her black, fur muff as the cold air streamed in from the church doors. She noticed David's cheeks too were flushed pink from the cold.

"I don't believe you have called on us recently," Holly's father, Colonel Ambrose remarked, shaking the Pastor's hand.

"Indeed I haven't," David replied with an easy grin.

"We must rectify that. I'll send a note," Colonel Ambrose said warmly. "I think we should love to have you before Christmas."

"I would be most grateful," David smiled, his eyes turning to Holly once more. "Most grateful indeed."