Chapter One - Just Talk to Her

She's out of your league, bud." Travis snickers as he elbows his little brother in the side. Connor looks back at Travis with a confused face.
     "I don't know what you're talking about." Connor murmurs. Travis smirks at him which makes Connor turn his attention back to the large fire in the center of the camp. He watches as the flames dance green and blue in the middle of the crowd but catches his attention turning towards her.
     Y/N, the daughter of Hebe, was sitting across the campfire and singing along to the campfire song. She was sitting with a few of her brothers and bouncing Rory — a small, 5 year old child of Tyche — on her lap as he giggles. Her hair falls into her face as she throws her head back and laughs at something one of her brothers said. Connor smiles to himself, as he watches her play with Rory and sing.
     "Are you going to stare at her all night or make a move?" Travis chuckles, following Connor's gaze towards Y/N.
     "I've never even talked to her," Connor says.
      "Well then talk to her, she's really nice." Travis says.
     "You've talked to her?" Connor asks, looking at his older brother.
     "Yeah," Travis smirks at the look on Connor's face. "She's pretty funny too... like I said, she's out of your league." Connor hits his brother on the arm with a frown but Travis keeps talking. "Look, Jake Mason is talking to her right now."
     Connor perks up and glances across the fire where Mason is taking a seat next to Y/N. Connor's ears turn red as he watches the two laugh. "I don't care," Connor mutters.
     "Just talk to her," Travis says. "I'm sick of you being such a wimp."
     "I'm not a wimp." Connor frowns.
     "Then talk to her."
     "No, I-"
     "You're too scared," Travis muses. "Just admit it, you're scared to talk to your little crush."
     "I'm not scared!"
     "Prove it," Travis smirks.
     "Fine," Connor says, getting up to walk over to Y/N. Travis sits back with an amused look on his face and watches his little brother curiously. Connor makes his way around the campfire, making sure to not block anyone's view of the Apollo kids who are leading the songs. He takes a deep breath as he approaches Y/N and plasters a smirk on his face.
     "Hey Jake!" Connor says, poking his head in between Y/N and Jake Mason. "Travis and I were just talking about you — have you finished sharpening my daggers?" Connor avoids looking at Y/N but can feel her gaze on him.
     "Uhm, almost." Jake says hesitantly. Connor takes a glance at Y/N. He meets her eyes and can feel heat rise to his cheeks. Her big E/C eyes flicker in the fire's light and she shoots him a small smile which shows off her dimples.
     "Hey," Connor says quietly. He curses himself a bit, wishing he had sounded a bit more confident.
     "Hi, you're Connor right?" Y/N asks with a kind smile.
     "Erm, yeah and you're Y/N." He says. She nods with a slight chuckle as Rory pulls in her heart a bit.
     "Do you want to sit?" She asks politely, moving over and putting a space in between herself and Jake. Connor sits down next to her and glances across the fire at Travis with a cocky smirk.
     "Soo..." Connor lets out a slow whistle, not knowing what to talk about.
     "Ow! Rory!" Y/N laughs, pulling Rory's hands out of her hair which he was tugging at. "That hurts me." She says patiently.
     "Sorry," Rory murmurs as he busies himself with tugging on her sweatshirt instead.
     "What were you saying?" Y/N turns towards Connor.
     "Oh, uhm I was mentioning how uh... warm the fire is...?" He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly and watches the fire.
     "Yeah it's really high tonight, everyone must be happy or — Rory!" She looks at the 5 year old who has returned to tugging her hair. She puts his hand back in his lap and bounces him up and down. "Sorry, he just wants attention... what was I saying? Oh yeah! The fire... I think it's really pretty when it's like this."
     "Yeah, it's cool." Connor feels himself easing up a bit. "So, how long have you been at camp?" He asks despite already knowing the answer.
     "This is my second year, what about you?"
     "Oh it's my..." Connor counts out the years on his finger. "Ninth year."
     "Holy Hera," Y/N giggles. Connor's heart beats quicker and he can't help but smile. "You're dad is Hermès right?"
     "Yeah, what about you?"
      "Hebe cabin," Y/N says. "I have to admit to ur cabin sounds like a lot more fun than mine. You're counselor aren't you?"
     "That's me," Connor grins. "How come I haven't seen you around?"
      "Oh I'm usually helping out with the kids," Y/N nods towards Rory in her lap. "I help teach the younger ones."
    "So you know my sister, Tessa," Connor chuckles. "She's a handful, sorry you have to deal with her."
     "Oh she's adorable! Besides causing trouble is in her genes I can't blame her for being a bit... uhm... rowdy." Y/N laughs and looks at Tessa Landish sitting across the fire with the rest of the Hermès cabin. She's small, only 7 years old, but she has a lot of energy and is quite the troublemaker. Y/N turns to Connor. "I'm pretty sure she's learned more from you and your brother than me."
     "What makes you say that?" Connor smirks.
     "Well she can't do addition but she can pickpocket me in 2 seconds." Y/N laughs.
     "Travis taught her the pickpocketing tricks, not me!" Connor puts his hands up defensively.
      "Oh my bad. We're you the one who taught her how to make a bomb? She tried to blow up my book once."
     "Oops," Connor shrugs making Y/N laugh. Connor opens his mouth but is cut off by the rustling of people getting up from their seats.
     "Already time to go?" Y/N looks around. Connor nods and watches as she stands up and plops Rory on the ground beside her. "You have to go to bed." She says to him. He whines a bit but she ignores the protest and turns towards Connor. "It was nice meeting you, I'll see you around, I hope." She smiles a bit.
     Connor nods like an idiot. "Yeah I hope so too, goodnight." He smiles to himself as Y/N gives him a small wave and drags Rory towards his counselor. He turns around and is greeted by Travis.
     "Did you have fun?" His lips curl into a lopsided grin that makes Connor roll his eyes.
    "Shut up," Connor can't hide the smile from his face.