Chapter 52

Cameron Santiago POV

I needed someone steady to stay with. I ended up somewhere not even I expected. Connecticut. I called Pinoe when I left the house and asked if I can visit for a few days and she welcomed me with open arms. She picked me up from the airport and led me to her place with Sue.

"So what made you visit?" Pinoe asks as we ate dinner Sue made.

"Figured it was time to visit grandma." I wink over to her and I see Sue choke on her food.

"Is that how you're going to treat someone who welcomed you to stay?" Pinoe pretends she's hurt. And then she points at Sue, "You shouldn't be laughing. I don't look that old."

"No no, sorry Pinoe. You know I'm busting your balls." I laugh. I hear my phone vibrate and look at all the texts and missed calls from Ali and Ash.

"What's wrong, kid?" Sue asks. I guess my facial expressions gave it away.

"Nothing just missing my boyfriend." It's not a lie, but she let's it go.

"Want to go play some basketball?" She asks.

"I'm so down, but no one on one." I don't have to explain why.

"No one on one. We can just shoot some baskets." With that we make our way outside and shoot some baskets. I'm surprised at how many go in from my end.

"It was either soccer or basketball." I tell her when she looks surprised at the amount of balls going in and my dribbling skills. "My height called and said to stick to soccer."

Sue laughs as she passes the ball to me.

"So how did Krashlyn take you wanting to visit us?" Sue says eyeing me.

"They were surprised with my choice but didn't argue." I lie again. I feel like Sue can read through me.

"They don't know you're here do they?" I stop dribbling the ball and stare at her. She knows.

"How'd you know?" I question her.

"Gut instinct is never wrong." She dribbles the ball in her hand. Smart woman.

"Don't tell Pinoe. She'll tell them and I can't go back. I just need some time to figure out how I am going to work things out?" I beg her.

"Kid, they are probably so worried about you. Your phone keeps blowing up and I know it's them trying to get in contact with you. Why don't you just tell them you are safe." Sue tries to convince me. "You don't want them thinking you're dead in a ditch somewhere."

She has a point and I give her a look as I pull out my phone and send a quick text to them.

"So why'd you leave?" She casually asks.

"It was just time." I simply say. She doesn't push me and we continue to play until Pinoe comes and joins our little game.

"You should tell Pinoe." Sue nudges me.

"Truth about what?" Pinoe looks curious as she stands next to Sue and looks at me.

I look at the ground and mumble under my breath.

"Stop mumbling, kid. What is it?" Pinoe pushes me.

"Ali and Ash don't actually know I am here." I explain. "I kind of just ran away."

"Are you kidding me, Cameron?" Pinoe looks shocked. "Why would you just leave?"

"Pinoe, there was just a lot going on. It was best for me to leave." I bounce the ball in my hands.

"Do you think Krashlyn thought it would be a good idea for you to leave?" I know she's trying to prove a point.

"I'm holding them back-"

"Is that what you really think?" She cuts me off, "They have been growing and flourishing since you came back into their lives."

"They want a baby." Sue and Pinoe just stare at me like I'm speaking a foreign language so I continue. "They want to adopt a baby but I am in the way. I'm just a black cloud. I'm only temporary so I figured I should leave and have them live out their dream family."

"Kid, that's ridiculous. They love you." Sue says.

"Sue's right. You are part of their family." Pinoe tries to convince me.

"Listen, I'm sorry I came last minute. I figured I can stay a few days before our next camp. Can you please not tell them I am here." I try to convince her.

"Kid, they are probably worried sick about you."

"I texted them and told them I was okay."

"That doesn't matter. They need to know you are somewhere safe." Sue interrupts.

"I'm literally begging you guys to not say anything." I start panicking. "If you say anything, I'll just run again."

"Are you serious?" I see Pinoe trying to see if I was bluffing. "And where will you go?"

"I have connections to people, don't worry about it." I stand my ground and hold my voice steady.

"Okay, for now we won't say anything. We'll sleep on it." Sue tries to compromise.

"I think that's a good idea." Pinoe agrees and I nod.