Chapter 28

Rameen

I hit the ball and leaped into the air with joy as Riyaan missed again this time, I always knew I was the better player. I had been playing volleyball since childhood on my school team, on a national level. Though beach volleyball was different from it, I still had practiced it with Ali and Umair.

I missed Ali, it had been a couple of weeks since we spoke, he was busy with his last semester and as scheduled he was coming back next week. I was looking forward to his return, it will be the first time we will meet after my wedding. I just hope Waleed would get along with him.

I suddenly remembered that Waleed was not here celebrating my win with me, as Asjad, Saad, Rania, and Sheema congratulated me on winning. I looked around but didn't find him anywhere on the beach.

Jeena was spread across on one of the sun loungers, but Waleed was not with her. I looked around again to confirm he was not there, then I turned and looked at the sea to confirm if he had gone for a swim, but he was not there.

"Have you guys seen Waleed?" I asked them.

They all shrugged their shoulders in reply and looked around the beach. I felt a little guilty, he was so excited about this trip, and what had I done? I was busy trying to prove myself better at a stupid sport than spending time with my husband.

I knew how possessive and territorial he was and I still got carried away by Riyaan's teasing, I always had a love-hate relationship with Riyaan. One moment we were best friends and the other we were ready to kill each other.

Riyaan had always been a part of my life since my school days until he went abroad for his Masters. My relationship with him was completely platonic but Waleed didn't know that. And of course, when people looked at me and Riyaan they thought we were together, but the truth was we were just frenemies.

"Jeena have you seen Waleed?" I called out to Jeena.

She raised her head to look at me and then shook her head in a no. I was getting anxious now, I was sure Waleed was upset because I ignored him and preferred to play with Riyaan.

"He might have gone to the house, to fetch something," Saad said looking at me sympathetically.

"I don't think he liked the idea of you playing against Riyaan," he whispered.

I had figured that out by myself, that he was upset with me. I apologized to the others as I made my way to the house, hoping that he would forgive me.

I found the living room empty, I checked the bedroom and he was not there, I looked on the terrace, the gym, and other rooms to find them empty.

I came to the recreation room and found him playing a game on his Xbox, this was not what I had expected him to be doing.

"Hey," I said as I dropped beside him on the couch.

He didn't reply to me, his eyes were focused on the screen where a car was running on a race track with lightning speed.

"I am sorry," I said keeping my hand on his shoulder.

Waleed still ignored me and brushed aside my hand from his shoulder, I never imagined that he could be so mad at me.

"I know you are mad at me, but I am sorry," I said with guilt choking my words.

"Finally, you got the time to think about what I was feeling," He snapped at me.

I hadn't expected this answer from him, this was the first time he was upset at me so much that he didn't even look at me once.