1

"We've sent over your wardrobe. Your mum said she brought it up to your room last night." Marlon says over the phone. I roll my eyes, glancing at the outfit hanging on the door.

"I'm only going to school, Marlon. This isn't the Grammy's. I don't need any gimmicks."

Marlon Stacey is my life coach and the executive manager of my public relations team. He's been responsible for almost everything—from what I wear when I go out to how I wave to my fans on T.V.

I just wrapped up touring for my first album, "Confessions". I've been on the road for 186 days and instead of coming back home to kick my feet up and live my "new pop star life" as everyone likes to say, the first thing I want to do is go back to school and try to salvage the life I once had.

Before it's too late.

My mum, Marlon, and my label executive already think it's too late. But I want to see for myself.

I've always been stubborn that way.

Touring gets lonely. I miss my friends and my boyfriend. I need to be a normal teenager again.

"Toya, you have an image to keep. You're no longer invisible. Everybody's watching, and I do mean everybody."

I sigh. "Forget it, Marlon. I'm picking out my own clothes today."

"You stubborn sock, I can't believe we got along on tour." He chuckles. "I'll call you back in half an hour." Marlon hangs up and I toss my phone onto the bed gently.

Then I hear a light rap at my door before it swings open slightly. "Hey, baby." Mum smiles. "Mr. Lewis is ready to take you to school."

"Mr. Lewis? But I thought you were taking me."

Mum opens the door fully, stepping inside. "In my tiny, little Mercedes?" She scoffs.

I frown at her. "Mum, I said I wanted this to be just like it used to be. No limos, no crazy outfits, no bodyguards. I just want to go back to school and see my friends and graduate just like everybody else."

She walks over to where I'm sitting in front of my vanity and begins stroking my hair. "But you're not like everybody else anymore. You can't forget that. You're the "newest pop sensation", Toya. First world tour down, 97 sold-out shows. Three number ones!"

I roll my eyes again. "I get it."

She sighs as she kneels down beside me. "Are you sure you still want to—"

"Yes. Please stop asking me that. I've never been more sure of anything in my entire life."

She stands to her feet. "Alright, honeybun. Just making sure. You know we're here for you. We just want you to be happy."

My eyes flick over to my window where I spot Mr. Lewis in the street, leaning on the side of his limo. "I'd be happier if you drove me to school."

Mum is silent for a moment before nodding. "Alright, kitty. If that's what you want." She lingers a moment, as if she's still waiting for me to change my mind.

"It is."

She leans down to kiss my forehead before starting for the door. "We leave in fifteen minutes." She adds before closing the door behind her.

I refocus my attention back on the reflection in front of me. What were they talking about? I was still me. Nothing had changed about me at all except for the amount of people who adored me and wanted to hear me sing.

I'm still Toya Jacobsen. The girl who just wants to spend her last year of high school with her friends and her boyfriend.

I put on mascara and lip gloss before stepping into my master closet. Boy, it's a mess in here. I look from one corner to the other, remembering the tornado that once swept through here last week when trying to piece together the perfect ensemble for my first awards ceremony. That's the consequence of rejecting Marlon's costume team. I must say though, I definitely pulled it off with my satin-lace jumpsuit and Guiseppe platforms. My team and my family were adamantly surprised, to say the least.