Chapter 9: Veruca Salt

After we left the Inventing Room, we walked in the hallway. There were only Mr. Salt and Mr. Teavee, Mike, Charlie, Veruca, and I left. "Without the boat, we'll have to double-time just to keep on schedule. There's far too much to see."

"Mr. Wonka?" I called him. 

"Yeah?"

"Why did you decide to let people in?" I asked since I was curious but didn't seriously ask him about it, worrying it would make him mad. 

"Well, so they could see the factory, of course!" He replied. 

Charlie then asked him as well, "But why now? And why only five?"

Mr. Wonka has been cut off by Mike, "What's the special prize, and who gets it?"

"The best kind of prize is a surprise, haha!"

Veruca then abruptly pushed past Mike as she wanna asked Mr. Wonka. "Will Violet always be a blueberry?"

"No. Maybe, I don't know." Mr. Wonka unsure answered as he didn't know what would happen to her. "But that's what you get from chewing gum all day, it's just disgusting."

"If you hate gum so much, why do you make it?" Mike asked. 

"Once again, you should mumble because it's kinda starting to bum me out."

"Can you remember the first candy you ever ate?" Charlie asked him, causing him to stop walking. 

"No..."

.

.

.

~Flashback~

"In fact, Willy Wonka did remember the first candy he ever ate."

When he was brushing the ashes off the fireplace, he caught something on the fireplace. A small gold wrapping bounced off the fireplace and his father threw the candies to burn them out.

He grabbed it and turned his head around to see if his father was still there. He looked around and saw that the wrapper had torn a little and the chocolate was inside it. 

He tore the wrapper off and put it in his mouth hard because of the device. The taste of the chocolate, made him stuck in the sweetness.

.

.

.

After that day, he bought the chocolate and after he ate it, he took notes as he described the chocolate. 

He bought the ball of red, blue, and green candies from the machine and brought it closer to his eyes. 

He had once watched the candy maker pulling the candy, making the nougat.

.

.

.

~Back to the present~

"I'm sorry, I was having a flashback." Mr. Wonka explained the tour. 

"I see..." Mr. Salt held Veruca's shoulders as he pulled her back to him. 

"These flashbacks happen often?" Mr. Teavee asked. 

"Increasingly... today." Mr. Wonka replied and then we continued walking.

We soon arrived at the large gate with the letters read. "Nut Sorting Room".