Elouise pursed her lips, "Are you sure? H-how did you hear of my grandmothers passing?"

"This is a small town, Miss Myer. Word gets around." He pushed the bread towards her, "I'll mention you in our prayers tonight."

She scooped up the bread, taking that as a farewell. She gave a small wave as she scurried back out of the store and towards her grandmothers house.

The little shed was located by the river, just outside of town. It took Elouise over thirty minutes to reach it by foot, a raggedy old thing it was. She had no idea how her grandmother lived in a place like this, it certainly did not feel warm or welcoming.

It was a single room, a makeshift stove built in the corner with a single mattress and a pile of blankets. Elouise's belongings were placed by the front door, away from the opposite corner where the roof had fallen in.

The girl had two bags, one a decent size paired with a small purse like one. She kept a total of two dresses, only owned one pair of boots and in her purse she kept a hairbrush, some oils and other small items.

"Hello?"

Elouise spun to face the door, which was blowing open in the sudden wind. A woman stood on the other side, peeking in with a curious expression.

"Are you of the March household?"

"One of them."

Elouise collected her two bags with one hand, balancing the loaf of bread in the other as stepped out into the daylight again.

"That was awfully quick."

The woman made a face, "I've been walking for a life time. I wouldn't call that quick."

"Would you mind holding this? It's for your family, as a thank you gift for letting me stay."

"Bread?"

Elouise frowned, "I don't have much. That's why I'm incredibly grateful for your Marmee."

There was hesitation, before the woman took it and held in her slim hands. Her wavy blonde hair was bunched up at the back, she looked very much like her mother.

"I'm Elouise." Elouise said as they began walking, "If you haven't been told yet."

"Jo." The woman told her, "You'll hate it at our house, you know."

Elouise brows furrowed, "I'm sure that won't be the case."

"No, no. You will. You see, there's five of us in a small house, six if you include Hannah and seven with my father. Meg is the oldest, also like Amy who feels the need to be the perfect lady at all times. Beth is the second youngest, she's a gem. Amazing at piano, a very talented young woman. Hannah helps around the house and my father is away at war."

Elouise watched her feet as they walked, unsure of what to say. Normally other women Elouise met were very proper, always standing straight and speaking clearly. She always tried to be like them, to blend in. But Jo was nothing like any of those girls, she seemed strong and didn't care of what girls were supposed to do. She was very boyish, and it made Elouise smile.

"What about you?"

Jo turned and raised her brow, "Pardon?"

"You don't seem like your sisters Meg or Amy, but I haven't met them yet so I cannot debate any further. I do like your grit, Jo Marsh." Elouise glanced at the girl, "I will be honest, I do try to act like a proper lady, as you say your Meg is. It's only because it seems that's the only way us women can get anywhere in this world, obeying and staying by a man's side. If I don't try, I can hear my grandmothers voice giving me grief."

"I don't believe in any of that. A woman is more than just a wife, she's her own person who can do whatever she pleases. I don't plan to marry at all. I plan to run away and row my own canoe as I don't need anybody but myself and my family."

Elouise smiled, "I plan to travel the world. Alone or with a man, who knows. But if so with a man, they must listen to me. I shall run the show, not them. I will not live in a kitchen nor have no voice. I find I'm very loud when I need to be."

They fell into silence, the only noise coming from trees that danced in the breeze. Elouise focused her attention ahead, spotting a few small homes they were approaching.

"I think I may just like you." Jo sighed, "This wasn't apart of my plan."

"And what is your plan?"

Jo made another face, "We should hurry along, Mother's making dinner. If we take this short cut we'll arrive in time. Come along."