4: To Woo A Damsel

So began an experience like no other in the life of Madison Robbins. She found herself unable to focus on school and work when she and Chris were not in the same room, and unable to do it when he was! She became overly preoccupied and easily flustered. Yet through the romantic tizzy. Chris seemed to kindle the flame of inspiration which had been so long dormant within Madi.

Ever since Madi was young, she wanted to be a writer. But not just any writer; she could do without novels and essays. The thing that interested Madison most was play-writing. Someday, she wanted to write a play. The only person who knew of her aspiration was Matt, and a conceited lot of good he was! He constantly nagged her to write something, even offering her money, but to accept his commission, she had to accept his terms: the play had to be a romance, and Madi must co-star alongside him. Not that Madi minded being courted by a guy who constantly bought her the latest and greatest in clothing and merchandise as casually as if it were mere duty, but there was a shallowness and a superficiality to him that repulsed the sensitive girl.

Against Chris, on the other hand, she had no such qualms. She was surprised at the sheer volume of his communications. Every time she checked, whether on her cell-phone, her desk in the study hall, in her locker, waiting for her in the Library, sticking out of books he returned, and especially in her inbox online, there was always a special note from him. Sometimes they were simple, short trifles, but occasionally she would receive a lengthy one.

Madi confided to Donna that she was sure there was no one in the world who could write like Chris did. "Hayden knows how to parse well," she admitted, "but oh, the richness in Chris' letters! I knew he was good enough for the Bergeriacs!"

Madi took to saving all of Chris' notes and collecting them in a binder she brought to school every day. She read those poems and letters constantly.

A week later, she got off her shift at the Library a good hour before her evening class, and saw someone waiting for her in the darkness outside. "Chris?" she cried, running down to him.

She stopped when he stepped into the light. It was Matt Pucker!

"Guess again!" he said far too cheerfully for a man who had just been mistaken for his own rival. "Come on," he continued, grabbing her arm, "We'll be late for our reservation."

At dinner, as at most of Madi's dates with Matt, he turned the conversation completely to himself. "So, Miss Madi, how is your script coming along?"

"My script?" Madi echoed cuttingly, "I told you, I'm too busy. Maybe Christmas break I'll be able to start something."

"Now, wouldn't that be a nice present! You know, I'm only doing this because I want to be with you," Matt sighed dramatically, "but you insist on hanging out with those arrogant Bergeriacs!"

"Why, Matt, you're one of them!"

"Oh, psh! You know my true place is the stage. I only joined the Bergeriacs to be closer to you. But never fear, for soon I—ah, we—will be rid of the lot of them!"

Madi looked up at Mat with fear in her eyes, which he mistook for awe. "Oh! How are you going to do that?"

He pulled the Battle of the Bards brochure from his pocket with all the air of a conquering hero. "Ta-daa!" he said, "A one-way ticket to obliteration, Syracuse!"

Madi took the brochure, with its many glossy pictures of students in period clothing, mouths open, reciting their pieces. "Obliteration?" she cried, "Are you sure—"

"Of course I'm sure they'll be creamed! Check this out!" he pulled out his laptop and brought up the site for the Battle. He pointed at the listing of the incumbent champion. "Look who's going to be there: Poetas Piratas, the Pirate Poets. They've been the reigning champs for two years running. The Bergeriacs don't stand a chance!"