Chapter Two: Forgotten

The front lawns of Green Valley High was once again littered with new and returning students. It was the first day of a new school year.

Caleb's Porsche Cayman eased into the parking space two spaces away from the entrance and then the engine ceased.

Ash had been silent the entire ride. It worried Caleb.

"Are you-"

"I'm fine." she retorted immediately.

For a brief moment, he was lost for words.

"I'll see you after school then," he said.

She nodded, grabbed her backpack and pushed open the door.

He sighed and turned away, his attention now resting on a particular group of boys. His people, the soccer boys.

He was about to follow Ash's actions when the passenger door was opened and slammed shut quickly.

Before he could comprehend what was going on, Ash's arms were around him, her head buried in his chest.

He got over his shock and placed a hand on her back.

"It's okay. It's okay."

Her body quivered against his but he knew she wasn't crying. She was strong. But even the strongest of hearts cracked some times.

"How about this," She looked up, "we walk together?"

She nodded and pulled away.

He got out and opened her door. Hand in hand, they walked up to the giant brick red building.

Outside no one would have guessed she wasn't okay; her demeanor was her usual deadpan, but occasionally she would squeeze his hand a little tighter. She managed fine till they were behind the great double doors.

Beyond that, he only had to walk as far as her locker before his replacement arrived in the form of Maddie, Ash's girlfriend.

She was dressed in a flower print T-shirt and a pair of jeans held up by suspenders. Her hair was held up in two pigtails.

Ash took one look at her from her hair to her yellow shoes and shook her head.

"Hey babe." She kissed Ash on the cheek and slipped her arm into place around her waist. From her position, she did not have the pleasure of watching Ash's face form a frown, "Caleb, have you been working out?"

Caleb couldn't quite place the thing that had drawn his sister to this high-spirited, oddly dressed girl. He had a feeling it was probably that spark he caught in her eyes as she flirted harmlessly with him.

"Maddie, hey!" And to her question, he added, "Matter of fact I have."

She smiled in approval and nodded.

"Hey, have you seen-"

A pair of hands covered his eyes and he felt a soft chest pressed against his back.

He reached around and grabbed her behind.

"Well there you are." He laughed.

"How did you-" Maddie asked as the culprit took her hands away.

"I'm allowed to know my own girlfriend's ass, am I not?" Caleb asked before turning to confirm that it was indeed Emily.

He put his arm around her shoulders and her hand slid into his back pocket as if on instinct.

"Er, no..." Ash muttered with a bothered yet shocked expression.

Emily was staring at him with the same awe-struck expression when he turned.