Eight: Rekindled Friendships

"Hey, Gee, haven't seen you all mornin'," Frank awkwardly greeted on Monday morning, a stack of letters in one hand and the other shoved deep in his pocket.

He'd eventually convinced Jamia to abandon her plan to invite Gerard along for Saturday night's showing, willing to save her new best friend from the embarrassment in front of his crush. Frank's first performance wasn't bad, per se, but he dropped the saxophone during his solo, and after the show, Columbia said he was the clumsiest Eddie they'd seen yet, so he wasn't very reassured.

The following night went much smoother, but Frank was still glad he'd neglected to invite Gerard, knowing his nerves would've got the best of him and ruined his chances of staying on with the cast.

"Hi, Frank. How was Rocky Horror?" Gerard asked, the smile on his lips not quite meeting his eyes. He was thrilled to see Frank, but the bittersweet knowledge of how their Friday night together ended tainted that happiness.

"I actually need to talk to you about that..." Frank laughed softly, so relieved that things seemed normal between them that he missed the brief distress pass over the blonde author's face. "But we can talk about all that later at Toro's, right?"

"It's a date," Gerard replied with a smile, taking a sip of his coffee to hide the blush the rose on his cheeks when Frank nodded and smiled. He thought he saw one on the tattooed man's cheeks, as well, but he was gone too soon to honestly tell.

The two men left the conversation both happier and more confused, many questions floating in each other's minds. For Frank was glad that Gerard held no ill-will towards him from Friday night, but didn't know what to make of him proclaiming their routine visit to the coffee shop as a 'date.'

Gerard was equally lost on why Frank needed to talk to him about Rocky Horror, hoping against hope he didn't want relationship advice for Jamia. Because if his affections lay with his accomplice in the mailroom, why did Frank seem to blush so often around him?

———————

"So I wasn't completely honest with you about Friday," Frank conceded as they walked through the door of Toro's, the familiar scent of brewing coffee and fresh-baked scones filling the small café.

"Frankie, what does that even mean—"

"Hold that thought while I order," he said quickly, so nervous about explaining everything to Gerard that he didn't even notice it wasn't the usual girl behind the register.

"I'll have the usual, please," he mumbled, digging around in his wallet for change.

"Sorry, Frank, I don't know your usual," the man behind the counter laughed, his familiar voice ringing in Frank's ears. "Though I'd recognize you anywhere."

"Shit, Ray, how've you been?" Frank grinned, leaning over the counter to hug the curly-haired man. He had to stand on his tip-toes to reach, Gerard watching the interaction with equal parts amusement and ineptitude. "It's been what—years since I've seen you, dude! I don't know how I never put it together that this place was yours!"

"Some great-great-uncle or somethin' of mine passed the year after we graduated, and he left me some dough, apparently. I took it as a sign, man," Ray laughed, leaning his elbows on the counter in relaxation. "You honestly look great, dude; still playin' music in that shitty garage band?"

"Nah, I've got a real 'adult' job now," Frank answered, shaking his head as he looked down at his shirt and tie. "It's in the mailroom, but it's a steady 9 to 5. Well, noon to 8, but you get it."

"You gonna introduce me to your guy, or do I gotta do it myself?" Ray teased, pointedly glancing Gerard's direction. The blonde man shifted uncomfortably, knowing he was being talked about and sat up straighter, adjusting his tie.

"He's not exactly 'my guy,' but I guess you can meet him," Frank sighed, grinning as he called Gerard's name and waved him over.

"Gee, meet Ray, my old roommate, back when I was in college," Frank introduced, beaming as Ray slung an arm around his shoulder and ruffled his short but shaggy hair. "He happens to be the one who owns this little café you've loved for years. How crazy is that?"

"Dude, your caramel mochas are to die for, and since the first day he had one, Frank has insisted on getting one of your blackberry scones," Gerard gushed, resting his hand on the tattooed man's arm as he spoke about him. He let it linger there for just a moment, shoving his hands in his pockets before either of the others noticed.

"Now I know why they're so familiar!" Frank groaned, dragging a hand over his mouth dramatically. "Mama Toro would make dozens of them right before we would go back to school, knowing how much I loved them. Of course, it's the same recipe!"

"You really think anyone could make scones as good as Mama?" Ray teased, elbowing Frank's arm as the doorbell chimed that someone had walked in. "Well, it's back to work for me, but you better keep in touch, alright?"

"Good seein' you, Toro, hope to see ya more often," Frank agreed, smiling happily as he turned back to Gerard. "What's that look about?"

"I didn't know you used to be in a band," Gerard teased, grinning at the embarrassed flush creeping up the tattooed man's neck. "I don't even know if you're any good."

Frank narrowed his eyes in a playful glare, taking Gerard's hand as he came to a decision. "Come back to my place then, and I'll show you. The coffee's not quite as good as Ray's, but I do have ice cream."

"You've got yourself a deal," Gerard grinned, glancing down at their intertwined hands as Frank pulled him along outside the coffee shop. "But don't think I've forgotten about Rocky Horror, Frankie, you're still gonna have that talk with me."

"Yeah, whatever, maybe after you meet Pansy," Frank laughed, waving down a taxi and opening the door for Gerard. He finally let go of Gerard's hand, his own feeling empty as he climbed in after him and shut the door.

"Who the fuck is Pansy?"

~~~~~

Ray has entered the building, this is not a drill xo