"I thought they'd be together by now, but I guess not." Kurenai said teasingly, pushing my shoulder, pulling me from my thoughts. I guess I missed too much of the conversation while thinking.

"What?" I kind of yelled, shocked. Me and Kakashi? Together? Like in a relationship? What?

"I knew that would bring her back." Kurenai smiled. I glared at her. The other two guys laughed at her antics.

"We're just friends." I deflected. I saw all of them roll their eyes. What is this? Did everyone think we were together? "Or I guess, we were friends." I sad more sadly, remembering that he didn't want me around.

"You don't believe that, youthful flower." Guy stated. I rolled my eyes. I don't know when he started calling me that, but it's fine I guess. Next to Kakashi and my family, Guy is my best friend. We don't usually get into deep topics, but he never fails to brighten my day.

"I don't know, Guy. You didn't hear him. He's pushing me away. He's never done this before. Hell, I basically lived with him for a year after Obito and Rin. I never expected him to act like this." I was hurt. More hurt than I anticipated being. And I already missed him more than I previously did.

"I have an idea! Let's ask the Hokage to move him to be a Jonin Sensei! It's hard to be angry when working with kids!" Asuma said. I thought about it. It could work. He'd get out of the ANBU, and could start to relax. Maybe it would help him to come out of the darkness.

"It could work!" But he won't be happy about it. He won't like the idea of working with kids. "But he won't be happy at first." I shook my head.

"Why don't we have the Hokage pair you two up to be co-sensei? I mean, he'd be happy about working together, right?" Kurenai asked. I thought about it. It could work. I'd certainly be happy with it. And he'd come around, right? Sure, he'd blame me and probably hate me a little bit, but we always worked well together and had fun while doing it.

"Maybe? He wouldn't be at first, and he'll blame me for it, and probably take it out on me." I said sadly, knowing he'd hate me at first. "But, we do work very well together, and once he sees that it's good for him, I think he'd come around." I shrugged.

"Let's go!" Guy started pulling me towards the Hokage's office. On our way I saw Itachi leaving, looking upset.

"Hold on!" I yelled, and caught up to him. "Tachi, what's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"Can we talk later? I need to think." He looked way older than he was. He must be stressed about something.

"Sure, little brother. I'll be home soon, wait for me in the woods?" I asked. He just nodded and walked away. I sighed. He's growing up too fast.

I caught up with the rest of my friends, and we went to give our proposal to the Hokage. I was nervous. Not only about if the Lord Third would deny our request, but also about how Kakashi would take it. He's already mad at me, did I really need to make it worse by meddling? I pushed that thought away and waited for the Hokage's answer. He took his sweet time, blowing out smoke from his pipe as he thought about what we proposed.

"Mika, you're willing to have him angry with you and still work together?" Lord Third asked me. It was true, I didn't want that, but we had to save him.

"Honestly, Lord Third, I don't care if he hates me forever at this point, as long as he comes out of whatever darkness he's in." I looked right at him. I saw Asuma glance my way, not expecting me to feel so strongly about this. He's my best friend. He's my last teammate. I can't lose him too.

"Then it's settled." He smiled at me. "I will summon Kakashi and tell him the good news." I smiled back at him, and released my held breath.

"Thank you." We all said at once.

"Mika, please stay for a moment." I obliged while the others filed out, smiles on their faces. We did it. "I have a solo mission for you. You'll leave tomorrow." He handed me a scroll. I opened it and it said that I was to deliver an important scroll to the Sand Village, and return with a scroll in return. I'd be gone for a week.

"Perfect. Thank you Lord Third!" I smiled, still happy that Kakashi and I would get to work together when I got back. I missed working with him. I missed him in general. I walked out of the office with the scroll in hand, and went to meet with Itachi to try to deal with whatever dilemma he was having.

I walked through the forest to our spot by the river. Itachi and I came here often to talk about things that we couldn't with our parents listening. It had been my favorite spot as a child, and I shared it with him one day, knowing he would need a place to come and think once he became the clan leader.

"What's going on little brother?" I sat down across from him, looking at his tired eyes. He looked stressed.

"You have to promise that this stays between us. No one else. Not even Kakashi." He started. I was shocked at his start. What could possibly be this serious?

"Well we're currently not speaking, so that shouldn't be an issue." I said bitterly, remembering his words earlier.

"I'm sorry, Mika. He'll come around." He gave me a small smile. I just shrugged., waiting for him to continue. "Anyways, I think I'm in trouble. I don't know what to do." He started. My eyes softened. What's going on? "Just don't interrupt, okay?" I nodded. "The clan is planning a coup." My eyes widened. "You know I've been working as kind of a double agent, so of course, I told Lord Third, who told Danzo. Anyways, the coup could cause a civil war in the village, and as a member of ANBU, I can't let that happen. I love this village. So, Danzo gave me an alternative. But as the future leader, I don't know if I can do it." He looked away from my eyes for the first time. My breath was caught in my throat. A coup? What for? I mean, sure we're not treated amazingly, but look at how we act. I kind of get it. I hoped that Itachi and I could change that. "He wants me to eliminate the clan." My eyes widened in horror. This can't be happening. "He said either I could be the one to do it and save you and Sasuke, or his men could do it and everyone would die." Tears started falling down my face. Who in their right mind gives a fifteen year old child this kind of decision to make. My blood was boiling in anger. "I don't know what to do Mika." He whispered. Honestly, I didn't either. But we had to figure this out. I would not let Itachi deal with this alone. Hell, it should be me dealing with it. I would be next in line if I had agreed to marry Shisui like Father wanted. Itachi never should have had to deal with this.

"Have you told Lord Third? Does he know?" Was my first question. There's no way he would allow Danzo to do this.

"I don't think he does. That's just my speculation though. I don't know who to trust." I gulped, trying to think of a plan to save my little brother and my clan. I may not always agree with them, but they're my family and I love them more than life.

"Let me talk to Lord Third. If he doesn't know, he'll help us, okay? You do not have to make any decision now. But, I'm leaving before dawn tomorrow for a mission. I'll be gone for a week. Try to avoid Danzo as much as you can, okay?" I was terrified. Right now, this was the best solution. I would think of a better one on my mission and we would fix this. We just had to come to a compromise

"What would you choose?" He asked quietly. I didn't know. One one hand, I love my clan. They're my family and I need them. On the other, I love my village. A civil war would destroy not only the Uchiha, but also the village. I thought for several more moments, trying desperately to choose, but it was hard. In the end, I knew the answer though.

"I'd choose the village." I whispered, immediately ashamed of myself. I couldn't even look at Itachi as I said it. It was a horrendous thought to even have. It was true though. "We're part of a whole. If the village goes, we go too. But if only we go, the village can survive." I finally looked up and met his eyes, very seriously. "But I need you to hear me, Itachi. You are not to do this alone. When I get back, we will go to Lord Third and we will fix this. We'll talk to Father and make him see that a coup is not the way." I tried to reassure him. I couldn't let him make this decision alone. I couldn't let him act alone. It should be my decision anyways. I'm the eldest, not him. He shouldn't have to bear this burden alone.

"I understand, Mika." He said with sadness in his voice.

"Come here." I pulled him into a much needed hug. This was too much for any 15 year old to handle, and I wouldn't even be here for a week. I felt guilty in a way I never knew I could. Leaving tomorrow would be the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'd do it. I had a mission, and I trust Itachi not to do anything stupid.