chapter 1

The Lands of Levinia never tasted the faith of defeat, the nation itself has an enormous amount of army with soldiers willing to fight for their nation. They fight with great bravery without any fear of death.
Edward Shallows was a great and brave soldier who was martyred for his nation leaving his whole family unprotected.

When the king and his generals along with everyone in the castle were celebrating for another great victory the Shallows residence was in grief for losing a husband, a father and a friend.

No one ever came from royal palace to tribute Edward's dead or to aid the Shallows leaving them with no money no source of income nothing.

Thousands of soldiers die everyday for the sake of their motherland but how many notice that.

Two years has passed since Edward's death, the soldiers he fought with, the enemies he fought against noone remember him anymore except his beloved family.

At Shallows residence

Weather was cold but still early morning sun rays with the touch of warmth, falls on Rose's plumed cheeks.

She opened her eyes and sat on her rigid wooden bed as she stretched her arms looking around in her own unadorned room which was very odd for a 21 year old woman, nothing too fancy nothing pretty just some small portraits of her family members beside the window. Her mother who work as a house maid, her father who died in a brutal war and two twins Albert and Adele, both 16 years old too young to earn any money.

All portraits hung up on the wall were made by her sister Adele who was lying right next to her on the bed without disturbing her sister Rose went straight downstairs to the kitchen.

Their house was not big there was no living room all the socializing and gathering took place in dining room on the dining table which was placed in the middle of the room and at the corner there was kitchen with backyard door on other side.

Rose started preparing breakfast for everyone as she was the eldest sister so it was her duty to give her siblings a comfortable life. She wanted them to live their lifes happily without any burden but sadly that was not the story. Rose and her mother tried everything they could but everytime it was not enough for their needs. As they all started to grow their needs kept on increasing but financial condition remain the same.

After preparing the breakfast she woke everybody up and then went out to fetch water. When she returned home everyone was on the dinner table having their meals.

She placed the buckets on the floor and sat down on her chair to eat her breakfast as she thought to herself about her job for which she coudn't be late.

In pre-school her job was to teach or you could even call it babysitting two to five years old children etiquettes, manners and dance. Her sister was an astonishing painter and Rose was an amazing dancer. After noon many young kids mostly girls used to come to her house's backyard to learn dance. Well that was the only source of income she had after her pre-school and her mother being housemaid of wealthy civilians.

Rose's mother Evelyn was a cheerful person, from outside she was always smile and laugh even to small things but inside she was heartbroken by her husband's and precious friend's death. Rose could see it in her eyes, her grief, her sadness of trying to give them a comfortable life but failing miserably.

When everyone from Shallows residence was busy having their breakfast. A voice came from the main gate.

''Evelyn'' someone shouted, it was her neighbour Susan. Susan was their neighbour who was of same age as her mother and she also worked for the same household as Rose's mother.

"Come on hurry up otherwise we will get late for work."  She shouted again to bring her mother out quickly.

"Coming" shouted her mother.

After putting the whole slice of bread in her mouth, she quickly pecked Adele and Albert's cheeks. She walked in front of Rose gulping hard on her bread and said smiling "don't work too hard okay".

Casually smiling at her mother, Rose watched her mother rushing out of the door to catch up with her friend.

Breaking the silence in the midst of breakfast Rose said ''you two have to prepare lunch again today, after coming from the school Albert you will do the dishes & cleaning and Adele you will do the laundry''.

Both twin shouted ''okay''.

"Rose I don't want to go to school" said Adele whining.

"Why is that?" Asked Rose. 

"School is boring they only teach us embroidery, ball dance, languages and art, I can do all of these things at home so why I have to go to school it's ridiculous" Adele whined.

Seeing this Albert said "you should come to my school there is so much more than that".

"I would love to come there but your school is a boy school and I'm a girl stupid, can't you see" answered Adele mockingly.

"Well you don't have any feminine side though" Albert said teasingly.

"Me being born as a girl is not good enough that I have to show my feminine side too, huh?" Questioned Adele.

"It's never enough my little sister" said Albert smirking.

"Cut it off both of you" shouted Rose and continued "Now get ready for your schools no more argument, I'm off to work and please untill I'm back don't kill eachother. Peacefully do the chores not like yesterday when you were breaking plates on each other's head." Rose ordered looking harshly on those two troublemakers

Rose gave both of them an angry glare and went upstairs to wash up. She quickly showered and wore a decent light purple gown with a small pendant on her neck given by her late father.

After that Rose was on her way to the pre school, where both girls and boys were present because they were too young to discriminate in the eyes of education for now but they will surely be separated after some years.

During lunch break Rose's friend 'Eve' sat next to her smiling and said "I won't be teaching anymore Rose, I'm engaged to a merchant and he is rich. He promised to give me proper care and protection."

Rose was confused and asked curiously "Wh-what's his age?"

Eve excitedly answered "He is 49 more or less and he is already married twice but from none of the wives he got any kids as first wife is already dead and second one is always ill."

While Eve was all excited about it Rose couldn't handle her frustration anymore and said "Eve but you are just 23 he is too old for you. Are you out of your mind?"

Seeing her friend this Furious Eve said infuriated "yes, I'm 23 Rose but I'm not pretty like you neither wealthiest nor smartest. I'm... I'm just a burden to my family, don't judge me Rose."

Without saying anything else Eve stood up from her chair and left.

Rose watched her go as she already lost her appetite after hearing such bewildering announcement.

"How can someone marry like that .... to an stranger maybe Eve is not the prettiest but she is the kindest person I have ever met, every child here loved and adored her."