He shook his head and lowered the brush to circle out the names of the ministers he was considering as judges for the nun's case. "Were you that worried that I would do something unbecoming of an emperor?"

"I was worried. . . for your safety," Mikeal grabbed the brush by its free end and pulled in out of Hermes' grip, drawing a line of ink along the Emperor's palm. "Don't write now. You know that anger messes up your calligraphy."

"I am not angry," Hermes ignored Mikeal's antics and reached for another brush.

The knight was quicker. He shifted the entire container of brushes to the furthest end of the table and placed the one he held on the inkstone in front of Hermes. "Listen to me, alright? These missives will not go anywhere. You need to have a clear head right about now."

Hermes stared at the ink staining the skink of his left hand then crossed his arms and slumped in his chair. "Has Mother made a move?"

"Not yet." Mikeal walked around the table to kneel beside Hermes'. He placed both arms on the unoccupied armrest and rested his chin on his forearm. "But the royal physicians have reported back."

Hermes propped up at that. He pushed the scrolls aside and rested on elbow on the table so that he could face his brother. "What did they say?"

"It is just as Andrea said. There are several poisonous objects in the nun's room. All had the same poison introduced at a point during their manufacture." Mikeal reported. "In addition to that. The prescribed ointment found in her chambers was also found to be harmful."

"What poison is it?"

"Two different types," Mikeal said. "In the ointment, there are ground petals of the Mountain Luneshade flower. On their own, these petals are good for removing scars but they are only applied when wounds are done healing. If a lotion containing the petals is put on a wound, it would cause persistent fever and delirium. One of the nun's maids made the lotion outside the palace."

"So, it has nothing to do with palace?" It has nothing to do with my mother, is what Hermes had wanted to say

Mikeal shook his head. "The prescription was followed perfectly."

Hermes frowned. He had gotten his hopes up too soon. "Where is the physician that treated the nun? Bring him in for questioning."

Mikeal sighed and shook his head again. "He died two nights ago."

"How?"

"Suicide."

"His family?"

"His wife and children moved to another State the same day. I have sent for them using your order."

Hermes pressed his knuckles to his forehead in an attempt to stop the headache he knew was coming. "What of the second poison?"

"Arsenic," Mikeal answered without missing a beat. "The poison was mixed into the clay before the stoneware was baked. It affected the quality of the tea set and it normally wouldn't have made it past inspection so it is a surprise to find them in the palace. Tracing the dates back, I found out that the wares were manufactured around two years ago. I am still in process of investigating how they made their way into the nun's room."

"You suspect Mother?" Hermes asked.

"I have no suspects at the moment," Mikeal answered carefully, "but the nun is an important clue. The investigation would go a lot smoother if she isn't executed."

"I have already written a decree to be announced at court tomorrow."

"One for her release?"

Just as Hermes was about to answer, Faeradaigh burst into the study.

"Your . . . Majesty," he managed to greet despite being obviously breathless and hurried to bow.

"What is it, Dai?" Both Hermes and Mikeal rose to their feet.

"The Em-Empress Dowager. . . an assa-ssassin. . . the dungeons," he stuttered and supported himself with the closest wall.

"Faeradaigh, what are you saying?" Mikeal snapped then shot a concerned glance at the emperor. "Can't you speak properly."

"Your mother. . .was nearly assassinated. The killer. . .ran to the dungeons and the guards are. . .chasing after him," the eunuch screamed in a whispery tone with one hand pressed against his heaving chest. "The Empress Dowager ordered. . .prison cells. . .to be searched and prisoners are. . .being moved out of the dungeons so the assassin. . .can be arrested."

Hermes was already out the door before Faeradaigh could finish pronouncing the last word.

Quick on his feet, Mikeal caught up to the emperor and grabbed his sleeve from behind to stop him.

Hermes twisted Mikeal's hand behind his back and held him against a wall. "I don't remember asking you to follow me."

"If you do this," Mikeal said through gritted teeth as pain coursed through his shoulder, "Mother will know that Faeradaigh really answers to you. You will lose the only person you have by her side."

"I do not care."

Mikeal elbowed in the side Hermes with his free arm and spun on his heel to face his brother the moment he was released. "You will regret it."

Hermes shook his head with one hand over the spot where he had been hit. "I won't."

"Hermes," Mikeal lunged forward to grab the emperor by his shoulders before he could walk away again. "Mother still has more authority over the palace staff than you do. Even with Magnus switching out her servants and maids, she still had someone who could pose as an assassin for her, someone she didn't need Faeradaigh's help to acquire. She still has an imperial physician that can die for her sake. Think, before you do whatever you are about to do."

Those words seemed to sober Hermes up a little. Still, he took a step away from his brother. "Do not follow me. She must not see you. You still need to investigate the source of the poisons. If she thinks that she has accounted for all the people by my side, she will lower her guard."

He fixed a smile on his lips and held out a hand. "We will have to delay officially welcoming you back to the capital, brother."

Mikeal's gaze softened the moment he heard those words. He pulled Hermes into a hug and held him tight. "Don't go to the dungeons."

"I won't."

The two men pulled apart and nodded at each other in understanding.

"I will check on Mother," Hermes said while running his fingers through his loose braids. "She must be terrified. I should comfort her and see if she is alright."

"And I will go retrieve the nun," Mikeal clapped his hand on his brother's back. "Don't go to the dungeons."

"I know."

~

Guess who's going to the dungeons? Yeah. I can't wait for the next chapter! Magnus said Eugene went to get reenforcements then he also went to 'save' Oris. Does that mean Magnus, Eugene and Mikeal are ALL going to the dungeons? 0~O

What do you think of Hermes' relationship with his mother? How about Mikeal's relationship with her?

Do things make more sense after this chapter? Like the tributes? And Faeradaigh's purpose?

Thank you for reading! I love you guys! The next chapter will be tomorrow! And that'll be the last one until Monday!