Chapter 24

~Finally~

Two years ago, if someone had told Oris that one day she would choose to face off against a dozen guards to secure a position in Hermes' harem she was sure that she would have lopped off their head.

It was as incredulous as saying that she would willingly hand her soul over to Death.

Yet here she was, doing the very thing she would have beheaded someone for merely insinuating. Fate really enjoyed toying with her.

Maybe she was being treated so unfairly because she didn't have a patron god to watch out for her when the other gods passed her destiny around like a helping of drying clay.

But not everyone could be like Hermes and dedicate themselves wholly to one god, at least Oris knew she couldn't—the fact that she barely believed they existed didn't help her withering faith.

All she needed was the knowledge of Fate, Death and Destiny and she could live peacefully. At least, she hoped so.

"My Lady, please put down the sword," Faeradaigh cried out once again, drawing Oris back to the present.

Yes, the sword, Oris flexed her fingers around the hilt of the weapon before adjusting her grip, thank you for reminding me.

She pushed the blade up, closer to her neck, and it impressed a line on the skin of her throat, drawing blood. She appreciated the sharpness of the sword. She had barely felt a thing.

Infusing her gaze with pain, she met Faeradaigh's eyes with her own. This is too easy.

"Mistress!" Mayree and Seline shouted with distress that could not be faked.

Oris was almost touched by their sincerity, but she had no time to dwell on the feeling. The sooner she put the sword down, the better the outcome would be for her when she would be trialed.

"Either you let me through or I die here," she said. "It is your choice, milord."

"I cannot let you through," Faeradaigh rushed through his words, really looking panicked now that he knew she was serious.

It must have seemed like a joke at first when I had taken his sword from him.

This was the only feasible way out she could think of, threatening the eunuch with her life.

She hadn't planned on using his personal weapon to meet that end but it would unrealistic of her to even attempt to take a spear out of a guard's hand and use that. Not only were they well trained, but even if by Fate's little toe she succeeded, it would have been impossible for her to maneuver the spear to her throat before being promptly disarmed.

And as always, the element of surprise was crucial for the success of her plan. Getting caught halfway was not an option.

The sword had been in a scabbard hanging off the saddle of Faeradaigh's horse. It had been tempting her really, from the moment she noticed it, and she had never been one to ignore such a well placed opportunity.

Grabbing the sword had been the easy part, giving a justifiable reason for breaking out of the encirclement and rescuing Andrea was the tough part.

"Things are clear to me now," it was not hard to feign a realization, "this all happened because of me, because of my inadequacy. If the Emperor had wanted me I would not have been kept outside the palace for half a day, and if I hadn't been outside the people wouldn't have flocked here to see me."