EIGHTEEN: ACCIDENTS

Start from the beginning

"You... have one?" Ethan asks, furrowing his brows. "That's good, I just--why?"

"Dustin," Aphrodite mutters, "needed it one time last year. Bought a second one to keep around for emergencies. Like I said, I hate it, but it's better than a baby."

After a rushed drunken night, Aphrodite woke up alone in bed and realized he had forgotten to use a condom. She drove straight to the store, bought two, and panicked by herself for a week until her period came. When she told Dustin, he shrugged it off and just told her to figure it out on her own. Suffice to say, it was a blessing she didn't get pregnant.

The pill, however, made her feel pretty sick. For a good four days afterward.

Ethan slips into a pair of sweats while she goes to clean up, then follows her downstairs and outside, where she finds the Plan B in her car. Her stomach is bubbling with nerves as she checks the expiration date, and Ethan's wringing his hands out. They almost had such a perfect day together.

Aphrodite slipped into his bedroom late last night after work, and they talked into the darkest hours while holding each other in their arms. Since getting back together, they've spent every free moment in each others company. The honeymoon phase was hitting harder than before.

Today, they just wanted to relax together. That started off with them eating breakfast with his parents, and Grayson until he ditched halfway through. His parents, however, left after breakfast which led to them making out on the couch before stumbling up to his bed, desperate to be as close as possible.

They planned to maybe go out for dinner tonight, or Aphrodite had been wanting him to teach her how to play some of his favorite games, but that didn't seem likely now with the stress on both of their shoulders. Most of it on Aphrodite's, but Ethan felt quite a bit of guilt for not being more careful.

Now they stand in his kitchen, Aphrodite prying open the packaging haphazardly while Ethan pours her a glass of water. Neither say anything as she teeters on her feet, taking the emergency contraceptive. Ethan frowns, brushing stray wisps of hair behind her ear.

"I'm supposed to get my period next week so... I guess we know then," she mumbles, crossing her arms.

"It'll be okay, Aph," Ethan whispers and presses a kiss to her temple. "It's like--95% effective, yeah? We can't stress about it too much, but... we'll be okay."

"I hope so. And I hope I don't get as sick as I did last time."

"I'll take care of you if you do."

Despite her nerves, she can't help but smile and pull him in for a kiss. Grayson comes home mid lip-lock--before they've gotten rid of the box.

His eyes immediately widen, snatching it off of the counter. "Guys. You didn't."

"Shut up, Gray," Aphrodite groans and rips it from his hands. "It's none of your business."

"E, dude, you gotta be more careful here," he says anyway, reaching over to ruffle his hair. "You're so not ready to be a dad. If you can't pull out in time, ya gotta wrap it--"

"Graysonnnnnn. Shut uuuup," Ethan whines, burying his head in his hands. "Please stop talking. That's not... you don't know how it happened."

He shoves his brother away, and Grayson goes to hit him in the arm. "Stop it! Both of you." They freeze at her scolding, Ethan's hand pressed up against Grayson's face to push him away, Grayson's arm mid-swing. "Dumbasses. Gray, leave him alone."

"What about me? He pushed me first!"

"Yeah but... look at him," Aphrodite grins, Ethan's cheeks burning when she leans up against him. "He's a little stupid. But you were teasing."