Butterflies

Walking. 

That's all I do. Walking in this white wasteland. No trees, no houses, no animals, nothing. My mind usually starts to wander and I think of what might have been here, and what will be here in the future. Maybe this world was home to a great empire, towns, and castles glistening with gold, silver, and sapphire. Perhaps it was home to jungles that stretched from sea to sea, where gigantic tigers, panthers, and jaguars roamed. What if the world was just entirely ocean? Maybe huge prehistoric sea creatures would travel all over the ocean, where yellow sand and neon coral transformed into abyss blue sea.

I think too much. But it is the only thing I can do with no one else, or anything else around. Sometimes my mind thinks of stupid questions. Like, where am I? Why does this place exist, or rather, does not exist? Who am I? What is my name? What is my purpose? 

I continue to walk, white nothing stretching out in front of me. 

Walking.

Is that? No, it can't be. I've been wandering this wasteland for longer than I can remember. How have I not seen this before? 

I see a small dot of black in the distance and start to run as fast as I can.

I finally found something! I wonder what it could be? 

The dot starts to slowly get larger and larger until it stretches the entire length of the horizon. I stop. The whole world just fades into black. It's nothing, but something at the same time. 

Just then a small blue thing solidifies in the black horizon and starts to drift towards me. What is that? The blue thing flutters in front of me flying back and forth. I reach my hand out and the small thing lands on my finger. 

I rack my brain, trying to remember what this tiny creature is called. A bloody something? A brutty something? I know it starts with B. A something fly? A blutty fly? Oh! Oh! A butterfly! 

The butterfly is a beautiful dark blue color with light blue metallic highlights and a black border around the wings. 

"Are you the only one here?" I ask it. 

What a stupid question, butterflies can't talk. I think. 

The butterfly flies back towards the black horizon and disintegrates into nothing. 

Great, I just met the only other living thing here, and now it's gone. Should I try to go into the horizon? I think I'd prefer to be surrounded by white than black.

I just stare at the horizon, not knowing what to do. Suddenly the butterfly solidifies in front of me again. 

It's back! But then another one appears. And another, and another, and another. They just keep coming! So many of them just keep appearing! A wave of metallic blue is flying towards me. Just fluttering around. 

Then they start to whisper, "Come with us." "Follow us." 

I slowly walk towards the inky black horizon, the butterflies floating around me.

Just follow the butterflies, into the jet-black abyss.

Do you like the first story starter? Feel free to continue the story. Personally, at the end of this story, I felt like it's supposed to be creepy. But it could also be fantasy-filled. If you do continue it please make sure to give me an acknowledgment. Thanks for reading and if you want you can request a story starter. (^^)

Art is mine.     

574 Words