Chapter 4: Moving On

March 19th, 1966

Zola and a Hydra agent walked into a lab where a cryostasis chamber was located in the corner. Zola went to the chamber's panel, and pressed the button to dematerialize the ice. The guards opened the door to reveal Jocey sleeping. They removed the restraints and carried her to the examination table.

Zola checked her health and then opened one of her eyes to shine a light in it. "Wake up, fräulein," he commanded. Jocey opened her eyes to see that she was still in captivity at the Hydra base.

She groaned and was cranky that he woke her up from a good dream. She was dreaming about being safe at home with her mom tucking her into bed, and even her dad being there, who was found and was alive.

"What's the date today?" Jocey asked weakly, wrapping her arms around herself. Her body was still a little chilly from being in the chamber for so long.

"It's March 9th, 1966," Zola answered handing her a blanket. She grabbed it wrapping it on herself.

"I've been frozen for 11 years!?" gasped Jocey.

"Yes, little Jocelyn. I will let you clean yourself up, rest for an hour, and then your training and brainwashing will begin again," Zola said.

Jocey wished she could rest for eternity and be safe in her bed, away from this nightmare.

One guard escorted Jocey to the showers, where she took a quick one. While she was showering, she peaked through the curtains for a second to see the man who guarded the showers looking a her lustfully, his eyes gazing into her face intensely. She shuddered under his gaze and continued washing herself.

Another henchman brought her to her cell, and gave her daily meals. Jocelyn ate quietly, thinking about her time in the cryostasis chamber.

"It's been 11 years! Oh my god! I mean it wasn't that bad. It felt like I was asleep for a few hours and I had a good dream. What did I miss? Did S.H.I.E.L.D give up looking for me? Did everyone move on? Or are they still find me? What happened during my time in the chamber? Anything important happened? Where are you mom? I need you. I don't know how much longer I can take this. I just want this nightmare to end," she thought. She went under the covers of her bed, and went to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jocey got used to her daily schedule in captivity. In the early morning at the sunrise, she'd be woken up by a Hydra guard. This guard will give her breakfast and she will eat it. An hour later, two guards would bring her to the Memory Suppress Machine in an attempt to brainwash even though Jocey can resist it by fighting back with her mind. She was used to the pain though. The machine would be used on her for a few hours before they shut it off, leaving Jocey exhausted and tired.

After the failed brainwashing, Hydra would leave her to rest until lunch was given to her. During that time, the girl would read books to educate herself, watch TV, singing or dancing in her cell, exercise, or even take a nap.

After eating lunch, Jocey had to go under intense training where if she even made the tiniest mistake, the guards would punish her either by beating her using their fists, kicks, whips, bats, or verbal abuse.

Dinner will be given to her after the severe training. Then after dinner, Jocey would back being tortured by the Memory Suppress Machine. Her day would finally end with Jocey being back to the cell.

Most of the time, Jocelyn preferred to be in her cell instead of being exposed to Hydra's evil plans for her.

Through the year, Zola had given up on brainwashing Jocey, but used the machine just to torture her, thinking it will make her stronger as a Hydra asset.

Also, Zola put a taser disk on Jocey's neck to keep her powers limited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 11th, 1966

"Again!" a Hydra agent shouted as he punched Jocey to the ground. Jocey got up and dodged the punch from the Hydra agent and kicked him the shins.

She was about to punch him in the face before the Hydra agent pressed a button which activated the taser disk, shocking her.

"You're getting stronger, but you're still weak," the Hydra agent said, kicking her in the ribs. "You know S.H.I.E.L.D and your mother have moved on. They gave up looking for you. They just think you're dead. Actually, your mother has fully moved on and started another family."

Jocey froze. "No," Jocey whispered. She knew that S.H.I.E.L.D probably moved on and her mother, but she didn't expect her to start completely over with another family. "No, you're lying! You're a big, fat, dumb, shitty liar!" she yelled trying to tackle the Hydra agent to the ground, but received a shock to her body.

The Hydra guard dragged her towards her cell and went in with her. "Here, I'll prove it to you. There's a documentary about your father, and it's an interview with Peggy, saying she had moved on," he said, turning the TV on inside the cell.

The TV turned on to reveal Peggy. She looked to be a little bit older since the interview happened in 1963. Peggy started talking about her relationship with Steve Rogers before she quickly said that Rogers rescued a man from the war, who later became her husband, and that she had kids.

Tears filled in Jocey's eyes, but she didn't let them fall.

The Hydra agent leaned down close to her face. "See, I told you. Everyone has forgotten about you. History didn't Ben mention you when Captain America was talked about. You're nothing now! Stop hoping that someone will come and find you. You belong to Hydra! You have no family because we are your family!" She grimaced, but didn't say anything.

He left her and locked the cell door, leaving her alone.

Jocey bit her lip to prevent herself from crying, only to add a headache. She felt broken and numb. She wanted to die.

"He's right. I have to put an end to hoping someone will rescue me. I'm nothing. I'm not even human. I'm just an unwanted creature left to decay," she thought. A few tears dropped as she sniffled.

Then, a voice in her heart said something, "Yes, I know that I'm nobody, but that does not mean I will surrender completely. My spirit is not completely broken yet. I won't just give up and become a slave to Hydra. No! I have to do the next right thing. To keep fighting against them until I die or Hydra ends! That will be my main purpose from now on!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 22nd, 1967

Zola ordered Hydra to put Jocey back in the cryostasis chamber due to the Hydra base abandoning sometime later. They put her in the chamber without her being resilient.

As ice began to freeze in the chamber again, Jocey reflected on her promise to keep on fighting.