Chapter 113: Wander

Start from the beginning

In one case, they had stumbled into the remains of a village, finding a Jahari patrol had ripped it apart. Half-decayed corpses littered the streets, and homes had been torn into to access those who had hid. It was not a case where the Bahari had been used, as no there was no indication of larger masses crushing anything. Instead, it seemed the Jahari had been left to roam free, and the local militia hadn't stood a chance, eviscerated instantly by a far superior enemy. Ochenkov remembered seeing the Jahari on the ground under his Goliath when he had fought them in the north, and he shuddered to think what it would be like if he were to come face-to-face with one of them the way that town had.

Since then, they had visited only one city to gather supplies, stopping in it briefly to let Goulet visit the library. He was always interested in absorbing knowledge no matter where he went, and he would pull out books on subjects he was extremely well-versed in, if only to see how a different person had written about it. In his mind, as he had explained, interpretation was the only thing that mattered in human history. Fact could always be a fact, but it could be slanted in a million different ways, and the context of it could create endless possibilities. He was always trying to see the other side to a situation.

"Should we start investing more in affecting conflicts?" Sigmeund asked the question out of boredom more than actual concern. He was always throwing out suggestions and demanding action, much to everyone's opposition, and this was no exception.

"We have no obligation to stem the tide of the Jahari." Goulet didn't even think about his answer, calmly making his statement instantly. "Let those who brought this upon themselves suffer. Mankind is doing an adequate job of defending itself for now."

"But they will lose eventually, won't they?" Grimsley asked the question with obvious anxiety in his voice. Of all of them, he had the greatest to lose at all times, with a fiance waiting at home for him.

"Eventually," Goulet responded, sucking on his pipe. "There is a finality in the attacks from the Jahari. They are not fast, nor do they intend to overpower. They are still testing us, wearing us down with perpetual warfare across the world. By striking all around us, they tear us apart. Were they to come out all at once, it would be unknown who would win. An enormous clash like that can have any number of outcomes."

"But what they do know," Goulet continued, "is that we have weapons that can cause incredible amounts of damage to them, on a level they are not yet prepared for. Enigma Soldiers are not just powerful, but can interfere with the hive mind, taking control away from the Jahari's masters, and so they are searching for now. They will want to eliminate those threats before they make any larger moves. So long as the likes of Sigma and Syn remain sporadic in their appearances, hiding in between, the war will go on."

"That all?" Ochenkov blurted out, his curiosity getting the better of him. "Will not fight with fear?"

Goulet smiled at the question. "Precisely. Our greatest strength against them is a fear over the weapons we have created. They want to invade us, to swarm over us, but they do not want to over-commit and suffer terrible losses. Think of them like a tiny mouse. If they take away just a nibble of our food, we don't notice. But over time, we still lose the same amount of food as if a dog had stolen it all at once. They certainly have the power and ability to act like a dog, but they are afraid to draw the attention of someone like Syn. I'm sure they are well aware of Sigma's human nature, but Syn's insanity is far more troubling."

Ochenkov heard a ring go off in his ear, a portion of his pilot suit connected to his warmachine's network at all times. He shot back inside his battlesuit, quickly traversing the interior until he was back in the cockpit. He was receiving a transmission, something coming in through a secure line of communication. The barbarian hesitated to answer, already guessing at who it could be. He knew what his response would be as well.