Chapter 12: Lightning Strikes

Ardwen sat trembling in the cockpit of his Goliath as the voice of the enemy field general boomed out onto the battlefield. "I am Field Commander Ramirez of the Artisan Confederate. I would advise that you stand down and surrender to our forces to evade death." As Ramirez spoke the three enemy battlesuits advanced on Riya and Nami, who were wrestling as Riya attempted to hold Nami back from her anger.

Ardwen stepped in between and braced himself. His suit was not designed for combat and a three on one was certainly not going to end well. Already his strategic mind was trying to work out different angles of approach, processing how the enemy would strike. A duck and a kick here, a retaliatory elbow, perhaps try to wrestle a gun away from one of them.

The odds never lined up though. No matter how many looks he took at it Ardwen just couldn't wrap his head around a way to win, especially when there was always Ramirez watching even if he did make any sort of movements. Things were hopeless. This battle was ending in a loss.

The first bullet impacted Ardwen's hull and he anticipated the warning klaxons going off throughout the cockpit. Instead there was only an eerie silence, followed by more projectiles hitting his exterior. Ardwen was shocked to find his systems shutting off almost instantly and his Goliath teetered a little before comically falling onto its back.

In an instant the three enemy units were on top of him, pulling out specific wirings with mechanical precision and Ramirez's voice was broadcast out again. "It would be a waste to let such valuable Goliaths be filled with bullet holes. Instead we will just have to pry them open and take out their useless contents before we refurbish them for service in our armies. Imagine, young boy, bringing back to your generals six unique Goliaths and six young captives. What a marvellous chance for a promotion wouldn't you think? I crave to shed this pitiful armour and don something of worth, a powerful behemoth that can crush entire armies. You, my young friend, will be my ticket to exactly that."

Ardwen found his own communication unit was working, though he could only broadcast to the air around and not within the comm network of his team. "How do you know who we are?"

"You don't think we have our own recon units moving forward? Your landing was not an extremely subtle one as we scouted out the little town we would be attacking. Weren't we surprised to see a defence mobilized of youngsters who haven't been in Earth's atmosphere for nearly half their lives. What a disappointment. But the weapons they bring to bear! Such marvellous creations. So of course, as you can see, I went ahead in taking precautions to ensure I could capture your devices. You could not have won from the start."

The three Goliaths were now yanking Nami and Riya apart, their machines also disabled by the enemy armaments and they pulled out their wiring. While they were doing this Ramirez had latched his chain onto Raul's Goliath and was dragging it out to rest beside Chase and Porter. The battle had ended. All six were beaten and the finale was closing in for the students of St. Maurius.

There was a very loud groan that rang out through the battlefield that shocked the rest. "Ooh does my head ever hurt right now. What happened?" To the surprise of all onlookers, Porter's White Storm rose up off the ground and shook its head. It took a look around the battlefield and scratched its head in bewilderment. "Weren't we winning? What's going on here?"

Ramirez gave a snort of indignation. "Hmph, it would seem one of them escaped a dismantling. No matter, you'll soon join the rest of your pathetic friends."

There was a realization in Porter as he began to figure out what was occurring. Immediately the rage that had pushed him forward into the initial charge rose up again within him. It grew larger though as he saw the three Goliaths hovering over Nami and Riya, plucking out their cables gleefully as the two girls were powerless against them.