Chapter 40: Grimsley's Adventures Part 4

Grimsley settled into the seat of his Goliath-killer tank. With the starting of the engine and the familiar vibrations running through his body, Grimsley was able to finally tune out Ronald's incessant chattering and could focus on what was at hand: the war.

With his new squad that had him teamed up with Carla and Theo, things were looking bright. He would see action, finally, and would be a part of a group that could protect and guide him, as the three of them strove to take down every last Goliath on the theatre of war. At long last, it was time for Grimsley to fulfill his destiny and become a hero.

The steel gates ground open, releasing the three tanks out into the plains in front of Narrius, the last rays of a setting sun streaking across the sky. Amidst the different hues of dusk, Grimsley swore he spotted a purple streak flash through the air before disappearing, but he thought nothing of it. Maybe just a reflective trick of the light coming in through the viewscreens.

It didn't matter anymore because this was the chance he had been waiting for. This would be his moment of glory. This...

"All units return to Narrius immediately." The intercom within the tank cut into Grimsley's thoughts, bursting the bubble he had created in his mind. An order to withdraw? But he had finally made it to his dream!

Carla repeated the command until Grimsley begrudgingly complied and turned his Goliath-killer around. "Carla what's going on?" Grimsley asked.

"It seems as though the battle is over for the day," she answered. "Rumour is that General Marian himself showed up and brought down an entire warship, scaring the Artisans away."

"That's a spot 'o bad luck, right sonny?" Ronald said from behind Grimsley.

The soldier ground his teeth together and fumed. If it hadn't been for that sideshow with the Red Scarf Gang Grimsley would've not only made it to the war but he would've also been able to see a mighty Brigadier General and legend in action. Instead it would be sitting around the hangar bay tuning up the tank until tomorrow.

The three vehicles returned inside the gates of the steel city, their weapons' barrels drooping a little lower in disappointment. As they pulled into their spaces to shut down, Carla relayed a new order to them. "Hold up boys. New assignment. Sounds like something is happening inside the city, just outside the base. Escaped prisoner."

"Then let the infantry handle them," Theo said. "How would we get involved with that; we hardly fit on the main streets of Narrius."

"I agree with you Theo," their commander replied. "But they want tanks."

* * * * *

Ralph Thiden whistled a little self-fabricated tune to himself as he walked along the hallway in the prison of Narrius. Many of the new prisoners of war were being thrown in here, mixing with the scum of the Enian Federation, and Ralph didn't mind any of them.

As far as Ralph was concerned, as long as they were behind these bars, prisoners were prisoners and it was his job to make sure they didn't go anywhere. And, unknown to most people outside the system, it was one of the easiest jobs in the world. They still had plenty of space here to keep each person in their own cell, and nobody was really able to pass through the walls so it was a simple matter of the guards walking and watching.

Ralph came across another worker, Art, who did some of the cleaning and maintenance. At the moment, the janitor was going through a recently vacated cell and sanitizing it for the next occupant and was humming a song similar to Ralph's.

"Where'd you learn that one Art?"

"Don't know Ralph, just kind of came into my head this morning. Where's your from?"