Chapter 18: Accidents Happen

[Your POV]

I leaned over Volks' shoulder, watching Nimh and Anon play Minecraft. It seemed that the gameplay was much like when we were sucked into Mario Kart and raced together. The screen was split and we could see everything from Nimh and Anon's perspectives. "So, um, I've never played Minecraft before, but I heard this thing about monsters." Nimh said, hiding in the house they had built as the sun set. Their Minecraft skins basically looked like them, but Anon's still looked like a lemur. Nimh had those extra animal features though.

"They only come out at night, but some do survive in the da'time." Anon explained.

"Okay, um, in that case, can we sleep? Please?" Nimh begged.

"Nae." Anon said. "I need to find diamonds."

"But you can do that any other day!" Nimh said. "Please...?"

"Nae." Anon said again. "I need to find diamonds." Anon was down in a mineshaft somewhere.

"I heard y-you the first time." Nimh stuttered, looking out the window. A creeper walked up to the door, staring at Nimh. "AH! ANON, THERE'S A CREEPER!"

"It's just a creeper, will ya calm down?"

"I can't!" Nimh cried. "M-Maybe if we were playing this like a normal game, but NO! I'm trapped in the game!" He went and hid in the corner of the house, trying not to look at the window.

"Ya can exit the same anytime ya want, ya'know?" Anon said.

"O-Oh, okay." Nimh said. He exited the game and sparks flew from the Nintendo Switch. The sparks created the form of Nimh and he reappeared right next to me.

"Pussy." Volks commented.

"I'm a coward, I know..." Nimh said sadly. I stroked his ears, calming him down.

"Ugh, it's no fun playin' alone." Anon whined. He exited the game. After he materialized in front of Eli, the Switch turned off. The lemur yawned and leaned against Eli, who was lying down with Kelby on his back. "What now?"

"Hmm, I could go and write-" I said, but Volks cut me off.

"NO!" He said. I raised an eyebrow, startled by his response. Everyone else was surprised as well, looking at Volks with confusion. Volks blushed and looked at me with a straight face. "You...You write all the time! God, don't you have anything else to do?" If it had been anyone else, I would've been hurt, but because it was Volks...I was okay with it. It was just Volks being Volks. I smiled and giggled.

"I'm tired." Anon said. "Ima take a nap." He curled up against Eli, falling asleep almost instantly.

"Well, that was quick." Eli said. "I mean, according to him, he doesn't get much sleep anyway."

"How come?" Nimh asked.

"Well, you don't make something like that by having a normal sleeping schedule." Eli said, gesturing to the Nintendo Switch. "I wonder if his other consoles do that as well..."

"Well, I don't wanna find out..." Nimh said, curling up next to Eli as well. "I hope you don't mind..."

"Nah, I don't mind having a bunch of attractive people lying against my body~" Eli said sensually. I blushed and Volks scooted away from the pegasus.

"Well, my legs are started to feel useless." Kelby said, standing up and fluttering off Eli's back. "Do you wanna go on a walk with me, (Y/N)?"

"Oh, fine, I'll stay here with the offender." Volks said, eyeing Eli.

"Hey! I may have a tendency to make dirty jokes, but it's not like I'm on a register or anything!" Eli said.

"Whatever." Volks said, sitting on the couch. "Anon, how do you work this TV?" Anon snored in response. "Fine, I'll figure it out myself." Volks let out a huff and picked up the portable TV.

"Alright! Let's go, (Y/N)!" Kelby said enthusiastically. He stopped short. "Um, if you want to, of course. I'm cool if you wanna stay here and write or do whatever you-"

"I'll come with you." I said, getting up. Kelby smiled and hovered around the door, waiting for me to open it. Despite being an energetic guy in a rooster's body, he acted so much like an eager puppy. Even though I was scared of running into August, I couldn't let down Kelby. Besides, this town's pretty big. I doubt anything would happen.

I put on my sneakers and walked out the door. I stepped on an envelope by accident. I looked down and picked it up. Royalties. I stuffed the envelope in my pocket.

"I'll look at it later." I said, looking down at Kelby with a smile. He hopped forward with his little chicken legs, obviously trying to work up a sweat.

"To the nature park?" He asked.

"The nature park?" I asked.

"With the cherry blossoms." He said. I nodded, remembering the place. "Let's go!" I went from speed walking to jogging after Kelby. I didn't know he could run so fast! I did my best to keep a straight face as I chased after this chicken. I avoided looking at other people, who were probably staring at me in confusion.

~~~~~

It didn't take too long to get to the nature park. Once again, the cherry blossoms were falling from the trees, slowly flowing to the ground. "This place is just as beautiful as I remember." I said, looking around with a smile.

"Like you..." I heard Kelby mumble.

"Huh?"

"N-Nothing!" Kelby said quickly. "Um, hey, look! A bench!" He hurriedly hopped up on the bench, kicking aside some petals. I took a seat next to him and stretched out my legs. "So, um, (Y/N), how have you been doing lately?"

"How have I been...doing?" I asked.

"Yeah? Like, um...mental state and all that? How are you handling things?" He asked.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well-uh..." He hesitated. "Well, cuz you're my friend and I worry for you sometimes..." He looked away, staring at the ground. I smiled and picked him up, setting him down on my lap. He gave a little cluck of surprise, but calmed down as I pet his feathers.

"Thanks for worrying about me, Kelby...but I'm doing okay..." I lied. To be honest, knowing that August was so close was nerve wracking. But with the help of the manimals, I couldn't help but feel at least a little at ease. I leaned down to plant a kiss on Kelby's head when he looked up at me at the last moment.

"Are you sure? Cuz I'm always here if you-" I cut him off, kissing his beak. My eyes widened and the two of us pulled away, faces bright red. Bubbles appeared and sparks began to fly. I closed my eyes, shielding myself from the bright light that engulfed Kelby.

Suddenly, I felt an immense weight on my lap, knocking the wind out of me. My arms were wrapped around a six foot man who had feathers sticking out of his brown hair and yellow shorts. Kelby's face was bright red, his hands back, gripping the bench. "Um...Kelby?" I managed to get out.

"Oh my god, I'm suffocating you!" He cried, getting off my lap so quickly that he fell to the ground, bringing up dirt. He wore a basketball uniform with a picture of a rooster on the front. He had orangish brown eyes and was...very tall. I let out a breath of relief and slowly got to my feet. I held out a hand and helped him to his feet.

I looked up at him. "Well...um...no more cock jokes, I guess."