Bitterness

13. Nate Jacobs

He sighed loudly, his face falling straight into the desk in front of him, he felt himself get sleepier and sleepier. He wasn't unhappy- just tired, today at least. He was irritated and his headache wasn't making it any easier for him, neither were the angry stares from his teacher. He reeked of weed so it wasn't really his teachers fault.

"Mr Jacobs." Mrs. Connor sighed. She was aware of the star athlete status, she also was aware of the bags under his eyes and the frown that was constant on his face.

"Sorry." He muttered, his face was red and he felt light headed.

He felt stressed.

"Please go to the nurses office." She set a pink slip on his desk, and glared around her at the students, who stared at Nate curiously with their wondering eyes.

"Thanks." He muttered frowning, grabbing his belongings and making his way to the office, the hallways empty.

"Hi." He froze at the sound of her voice, he felt himself perk up

"Hi." He smiled lazily.

"Are you okay." She frowned, looking at his tired state.

"I'm okay, Athena." He smiled reassuringly. "I promise."

"Oh. Where are you going?" Her frown made it clear that she didn't believe him but he pretended not to notice smiling at her widely.

"Nurses office."

"Me too, Mrs Connor said I needed to be there." He thanked his teacher in his head.

"Thank god."

"I think I'm getting sick." He frowned, although he was happier he still felt like shit and nothing could really change that.

"I think you should see a doctor." She frowned.

"Maybe." He shrugged the thought of doctors made his stomach turn.

*

"You should come see me practice." He smiled widely.

"You should go see a doctor." Athena stubbornly sighed.

"Maybe after." He bit his lip nervously.

He looked around nervously, meeting the eyes of Maddy, who to be fair looked as if she had steam coming out of her eyes.

"Shit." She turned and met the eyes of Maddy. Who now appeared to be storming towards them.

"What the fuck."

"Mad-" his yell was cut short by a smack, he watched as Athena held her left cheek.

"You're fucking crazy, get the fuck out of my life." His veins were popping out and his face was red.

"Fucking crazy bitch!" His yell was loud enough to grab the attention of teachers around him.

"Nate! Maddy! Athena! Principles office now." Mr. Willis, Nate's math teacher barked, his face red.

Nate grabbed onto Athena, his body felt stiff. He felt uncomfortable. And angry- very fucking angry.

"Nate calm down." He felt himself stiffen even more.

"I... I can't." He frowned.

He chose to ignore her worried state and looked up ahead, and met the eyes of his principle.

"What seems to be the issue here, Mr Jacobs, Ms Perez, Ms Anderson?"

"Maddy slapped her." His demeanor remained stoic.

"I-"

"Ms Perez that is completely inappropriate behavior, you will be facing consequences and I will be contacting your parents." He watched as Maddy rolled her eyes and glared harshly at Nate.

"And Mr Jacobs I assume you won't be yelling in the hallways like that anymore."

"If Maddy chooses to not disturb my peace then I'd be happy to oblige."

"Mr Jacobs," the principle warned, he was clearly tired of dealing with students so often.

"Are we excused?" Nate shrugged glancing down at Athena.

The principle sighed frowning, "Yes, Nate, Athena I expect to see you two tomorrow."

"And you Maddy we have a couple things to go over."

*

"Are you okay?" She frowned, walking next to him.

"Are you okay? You just got slapped by my crazy ex girlfriend." 

"It didn't hurt." He stopped walking, the permanent frown on his face seemed to be fading.

"I just put you through so much shit, I feel like you being with me or being my friend- like whatever we are is just making your life miserable. I feel like I'm just bringing shit into your life."

"You have no idea how much I have missed you and it's not your fault- it's mine. And I've wanted to see you again I've wanted to be near you for the fucking longest and this stupid fucking bitch is ruining everything for me. If the videos get out, like it's so fucking stressful." He let out a deep breath.

"I just feel like I'm just trouble for you."

"But you're not. I enjoy your company, she doesn't really faze me if I'm being honest. I'm assured of myself and I love myself too much to let her get to me and if I want you in my life- if I let you in my life again that is my choice, not yours. We will get the video back even if that means stealing it back." She frowned looking around thinking.

"Wouldn't it- be a good idea if it got like released, like your dad is kind of-"

"Yes but not that way, I don't want the whole school to know my dad slept with a minor. I may not love him but I do appreciate him in a way- a sick sort of way."

"I-I understand, besides it wouldn't be fair on Jules, no one deserves to have their pictures leaked like that."

"Y-yeah." He swallowed, thinking about his interactions with her months prior. Interactions he regretted.

"I'm sorry for freaking out, sort of."

"You should never apologize for the way you feel."

I love you, he thought, staring down at her small figure.

She was always so hopeful and bright, never bitter.

In all this bitterness she stayed so sweet.

"You're so bright." He commented.

"How? Like what do you mean bright?" Furrowing her eyebrows.

"Always happy- I guess. I think I'm going to skip practice, do you go to lunch or something?"

"I'd like that."

"Me too."