Retrospect (The Office)

(Follow up to Helpless/Satsified)

Version:1.0StartHTML:000000205EndHTML:000060819StartFragment:000023590EndFragment:000060751StartSelection:000023593EndSelection:000060747SourceURL:https://archiveofourown.org/works/23402824

Retrospect - cc tinslebee (Doitlikeagreaser) - The Office (US) [Archive of Our Own]

Pam woke up feeling warm; the type of warmth you assume is reserved for works of fiction and not real life. The type that comes from waking up where the light hits you perfectly and you already feel the warmth of your lover beside you; that wakes you up contently rather than out of overwhelming heat.

Pam sat up in bed, white bed sheets covering her torso as she was careful not to disturb her sleeping husband.

Husband.

She almost couldn't believe it. The majority of her twenties had been spent watching as her friends all got married left and right. All of them with their successful careers, constantly asking her when it was going to be her turn. All while she was struggling to get a stable job and trying to save up her money so maybe, just maybe, she'd be able to go to art school.

Those friends all came and went from her life, aside from the occasional Christmas card or Facebook post. Everyone except for Ryan Howard, who she had become friends with while working for the Michael Scott Paper Company, meaning that he knew exactly what she was going through. That's what Michael did, apparently; he gave outcasts with quarter-life crisis at place to call their own.

But that was almost two years ago. Now, she had a stable job working for Dunder Mifflin as a saleswoman where she would get to work beside her lovely husband every day. It almost seemed too good to be true.

Pam looked over to the sleeping Jim, who was peaceful and radiant beside her. She clearly wasn't the only one who looked stunning in the Puerto Rico morning light, because Jim was glowing. Eventually, the staring went on long enough that Jim actually woke up. His eyes were heavy with sleep, but his eyes still came alive with brightness courtesy of the sun.

"Were you watching me sleep, Beesly?" Jim mused with a sleepy grin.

"Maybe I was," Pam replied coyly, laying on her side. "Can you blame me?"

She quickly pecked him on the lips and his grin widened. "Darn, you're stealing all my thunder," he joked. "I thought I was going to be the one who would be staring at you in amazement that I managed to get someone so wonderful as my wife."

"There's still time," she assured him with a laugh.

Jim smiled fondly at her, looking the same way that he did when they first met at that party over a year prior. "You want to get some room service?"

"Sure," Pam smiled softly.

They ate breakfast on the room's patio, overlooking the beach as they talked and ate. Jim handed Pam her cup of coffee, who took it graciously.

"Thanks," she leaned her elbows against the railing as she took a sip. "Mm! This is actually really good. Ryan would love this coffee."

"Yeah?" Jim smiled, taking a sip of his tea.

Pam nodded, " Super 'exotic' too; that seems right up his alley."

"Sure does," Jim mused.

She looked down at her cup, "This is decaffeinated, right?"

"Of course," Jim replied with a knowing smile.

"Thank god," Pam sighed in relief, taking another sip. She moved one of her hands and placed it gently on her belly because, well, that was a thing too.