A Study in Love (Les Misérables)

Version:1.0StartHTML:000000205EndHTML:000039332StartFragment:000024656EndFragment:000039264StartSelection:000024659EndSelection:000039260SourceURL:https://archiveofourown.org/works/20209414 A Study In Love - cc tinslebee (Doitlikeagreaser) - Les Misérables - All Media Types [Archive of Our Own]

It was a normal day at the Cafe Musain for the members of the Les Amis de l'ABC. That evening's vigorous planning for the revolution had left most of the Les Amis either exhausted or flat out drunk. Combeferre and Courfeyrac were still working hard on the organisation for the revolt that was still months in the process; Jehan had left an hour ago with some guy with a top hat; and Bahorel and Feuilly were among the ones drinking, often tempting Bossuet and Joly before they had go home to Musichetta. Marius had been tenderly nursing his wine while chatting here and there with Grantaire.

Grantaire was obviously drunk.

Enjolras, on the other hand, was exhausted. He quietly sat at a table in the corner and watched his drunken friends from afar. He had been watching one, rather loud, drunk for a while now without notice until a voice spoke up next to him.

"He's such an idiot."

It was Éponine Thénardier. A couple of weeks ago, Marius had introduced her to the Les Amis as his new friend (though some members of the group speculated otherwise). Éponine had been coming to the meetings ever since. Usually, she'd sit towards the back or with Marius and listen. As her presence at the Musain became more and more frequent, Enjolras had made the effort to talk to her more often. It started as talking about the other Les Amis and Marius, as well as her views on the Cause. The conversation between the two had grown more casual over time. Éponine had given Enjolras more insight on what it was like growing up in the poorer communities of France and he was able to talk about his vision for a better, more inclusive France. The pair had also discussed getting more rights for the women of France as a result of Enjolras's rebellion (since that was an important part of the original French Revolution that Napoleon had erased when he had come into power).

Despite all the time he had been spending with her at the Musain after meeting, he had no idea what she was talking about now.

"I'm sorry?"

"Marius!" she elaborated. "He's one of the sweetest men out there, but he's so unbelievably oblivious!"

Enjolras only nodded and hummed in agreement.

"Unrequited love sucks," Éponine continued. "I hate that I've fallen for him this hard. I thought I wouldn't mind because he's such a nice guy, but I hate that he makes me feel things and he'll never realise it until it's too late."

Enjolras's eyes darted from Éponine over to his drunken friends and then over to nothing in particular.

"I can't relate."

She looked over at him skeptically. "Really?"

Enjolras looked back at her. "Really."

She paused for a moment, searching for the right thing to say. "That's okay. Not everyone falls in love, I guess. Some people find the right person and others are content with not having that type of relationship."

He gave Éponine a small little smile. "Thanks, Éponine."

Éponine smiled back and the two resumed watching their drunk friends doing their shenanigans. After a couple of moments of silence between them, Enjolras spoke up again.

"What's it like?" he asked her. "The things you said Marius makes you feel?"

She looked back at him, surprised. "It's like... when you drink just the right amount of wine. You're not quite drunk, but you feel a little dazed and a little happy, like you're in some sort of sweet limbo when you're with that person. And nothing else matters but what's happening then and there. I suppose it's like your revolution in a way. That euphoric sense with a hint of dread when you've coasted off that high and are no longer in that moment."