Chapter 2: Critical Chronicles.

Start from the beginning

Before I could fully splurge into those thoughts, I jumped at the sound of the front shutter door opening and slamming shut. It rattled against the frame. Curiously I peeked around the corner to see Juice coming in, looking tired and worn down. I got up from the desk only to meet him in the hallway in front of the office. He had stripped off his vest and shoes. I didn't say anything, knowing he didn't want to talk about it. His charcoal browns glanced down at me; his mouth drew a grim line on his face.

"I'm going to have a shower." He mumbled softly. I didn't protest or tell him no, but instead, I nodded and watched him go down the hall to the bathroom, flipping on the light after shedding clothes as he walked. But before he went to the bathroom he hesitated outside the boys' bedrooms on either side of him. He touched both doors with his head hung down, he sighed heavily then proceeded to the bathroom. When he sighs like that it worries me. It's always followed by bad news and even worse events.

I frowned and tilted my head to the side when I saw the scar on his lower back from where he was stabbed in prison. It made me sad to reminisce the moment I was called and told he had been beaten up and stabbed in the back. He was arrested just after Percy's third birthday. I was scared and a little bit lost. I was a twenty-something year old with a three year old baby going through the trials and the convictions and then having to raise a toddler and make ends meet alone for fourteen months. It was hard to do all that alone, thankfully I had a little bit of help from Gemma from time to time. I was angry too, I was angry at Juice for getting arrested and I was angry at the guys for not watching his back like they were supposed to. They were supposed to have each other's backs, always not just out here but in there also. And they let that happen to him. I was angry and I jumped down Jax's throat about it the moment I heard about it. Jax looked to Gemma to back him up but she took my side instead. She knew what it was like to have to raise a baby alone and any bit helps.

I trailed down the hallway towards the bathroom when I heard the shower turn on, picking up his sweat, dirty clothes as I went. I stood in the doorway with his clothes in a pile in my hands, I watched as he unraveled into a puddle of exhausted emotions. I couldn't stand by and watch him cry in the shower when he needs me most.

I set his clothes down on the floor at my feet and went to the glass stall that already steamed up greatly. I opened the door to see him squatting down with his head in his hands and sobs whipping from his lungs painfully. I kneeled down and touched his shoulder blade; he brought his head up for a moment to see me through blurry eyes before he fell into me and sobbed into my chest. I cradled him tightly; not minding the water showering down onto us. His already wet body leaned into mine, soaking my clothes as I cradled him. I stroked the side of his head in a nurturing way and hummed a lullaby to him as he sobbed.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear; how much I love you. So please don't take my sunshine away." I sang to him under the thunderous noise of the water pressure. I hated hearing him in so much pain. I knew he didn't like talking about it but I think it'll help him get through things easier. It'll help both of us get through things easier.

As soon as his sobbing faded into whimpers, I shut off the water and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around him. Somehow, I managed to get him from the bathroom floor to our bedroom without waking either of the boys up. Juice just sat on his side of the bed by the pillows with a blank gleam in his eyes, those coffee bean coloured eyes were red and swollen from the tears. I pulled out a fresh pair of clothes for him, making him get dressed for bed because I wasn't going to let him sleep in a towel. He just stared at the clean clothes on the bed beside him before looking up at me sorrowfully.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled carelessly. I smirked at him and twisted my eyebrows together.

"Sorry, for what?" I questioned confusedly and curiously. His eyes regained some amount of closure but that grim line still sat on his mouth like a lump of a log. I could see in his eyes, he was contemplating something. He wanted to tell me something but he was unsure how to spit it out.

"Being so late." He replied with something off the top of his head. I knew he wasn't sorry for being late. For Juice, he was home early compared to some nights he's away. Sometimes when he's away he doesn't even call to tell me he's going to be late or not come home at all. I've gotten used to him being ghost for a few days. I know he does it for mine and the boys' safety. So, instead of questioning him on it, I smiled and shrugged my shoulder as if brushing it off.

"It's okay, I only care about if you come home alive and in one piece." I admitted honestly. Juice frowned at my comment before standing up, he towered over me. His soft but calloused hands molded around my cheeks firmly before he brought me into close to kiss me passionately. It was like he's never kissed me before or never will again. When he pulled away from me, he rested his forehead against mine with shallow pants. His thumbs stroked my cheekbones effortlessly.

"I love you so much, y'know that right?" He reminded me charismatically. I smiled and blushed lightly at his affection and nodded shortly.

"I love you too." I replied sweetly. "–But you're not getting lucky tonight." I added in attempts to lighten the mood. Juice laughed lowly and mumbled 'damn'. I laughed at his comment.

As soon as he was dressed I helped him into bed and under the covers before crawling into our bed behind him, draping my arm around his lower ribs and lacing my fingers with his. I held him close to me, burying my face into the nape of his neck. I listened to his soft breathing until darkness and quiet consumed me.

I'm not sure how long I'd been asleep, it was late; or early, however you wanted to look at it. I still hugged Juice into my body and held his hand but the nightstand light had been shut off. The room was now dark and cool. My heart ached when I could hear Juice's voice whimpering softly into the darkness like he was talking to a ghost of the past.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear; how much I love you. So please don't take my sunshine away."

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light. The scary question is: what is the truth going to be when pain brings light to it?

_____________________________________________

Edited & Revised: April 21, 2017