Chapter 4: Friend Request

Start from the beginning

"Damnit" She curses sitting inside her car. She can't even tell her best friend this because Jaanvi is busy and already stressed beside this was her soon-to-be brother-in-law. Aditi can't bring herself to dump her friend in even more stress of awkwardness with her new family member.

Dhruv's ride back home was unpleasant which was so unlike him. He calls for his brother to come out of the house and give him a hand with everything. Kiaan rushes down the stairs just outside their big house and throws Dhruv a concerning look.

"What's wrong?"

Dhruv shrugs holding the 20kg wheat sack in his arms. "Close the boot when you're done." Is all he says. He hurries inside the house and into the kitchen to find him mother making something sweet.

"Oh, got it all?" Dhruv nods. Without saying much he heads into his bedroom and falls on the bed. He regrets being so straight-forward. He wonders if she thinks he's a low-class guy wanting to pick girls up randomly. His mouth turns sour just by thinking of it.

"What is seriously wrong with you?" His brother injuries with a tired and pissed voice. "You're awfully quiet."

"I literally just stepped inside the house two minutes ago and you think I'm quiet?" Dhruv snarls hugging his pillow.

"Stop being such a whiny baby." Kiaan mutters in a grossed out voice. He lays on his stomach beside his brother and looks at him weirdly. "What got inside your head?"

Rejection. "Nothing. I'm just tired." He lies looking away from Kiaan. "These blaring horns have me doubting my decision of coming to India."

Kiaan rolls his eyes. "You had no option anyways."

"Yeah, right." Dhruv grits his teeth. "You could have stayed still on your ground and told mum and dad you're happing staying single." As soon as he says it both of them know this isn't Dhruv.

"Hey, bro." Kiaan touches his arm. "Why'd you say that? What's wrong?" Kiaan knows Dhruv was the happiest with this proposal, then why'd he say such a thing.

"I—I'm just exhausted. I'm sorry. She's amazing." He's talking about Jaanvi. Eyes closed. "Close the door on your way out."

Kiaan looks at the back of Dhruv's hair in shock and shakes his head. "Who said I'm going, brother." He theatrically says in a high-pitch voice empathizing their relation.

"UGH. Go away." Dhruv mutters kicking Kiaan on the thigh. Yet again not looking at him.

"Now I'm definitely not going." He declares hitting Dhruv on the spine with his foot. "I bet mum delivered you in the wrong time and wrong gender. You're such a girl—all teary and fragile—" He gets a hit on his face by the pillow.

Kiaan looked scandalous with that wide—offensive and ignorant eyes—and open wide mouth which could fit a whole watermelon in—no literal—and ears open attentively. "Well, good luck with marrying a women—who cries way more than a new-born baby does. This reminds me, I'm sure your children would instantly want to leave earth realizing they're going to carry your gene—and perhaps having one or two or billions to by the personality you have. Asshole." Dhruv mutters truthfully. His anger bursts out and he feels better.

"Done?" Kiaan asks.

Dhruv nods, coughing a little from the outburst and then clears his throat as if preparing himself for another debate. "Yes. That went quite well actually. Wish I used this aggression during my senior speech—would have gotten an A for eye contact—I feel better, thanks." He says casually—almost too casual and little playfulness—unaware of an aggrieved Kiaan.