[chapter 1] The Queen of Hearts

Comenzar desde el principio

 "Yes ma'am!" Sam said as she ran into the office.

   If you didn't already guess, I am a wedding planner. That's my job. Plan weddings. It could be the most rewarding job in the world, or be the most stressful. Today, it was the most stressful. All I wanted to do was go to the reception, enjoy cocktail hour, open bar, and eat!  

   I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. No time to eat right now Josie. I grabbed the bottle of extra strength Advil from the cupboard.

"Take one every four hours." I read off the bottle. "Oh well, I guess that means two for me!"

I took two pills out and swallowed them. I walked back into the master bathroom to get ready for today. I grabbed my bottle of mousse off the bathroom counter and scrunched some into my hair. I grabbed my blow dryer and diffuser and began drying my hair. Sam walked into the bathroom.

"Diesel said he'll do it." She began saying. "But there will be an extra cost." I stopped the blow dryer.

"What extra cost." I said calmly.

"He said an extra hundred for not calling him first." Sam said hesitantly.

"Well that's just fucking great! I guess that will be coming out of my pocket!" I said angrily. Tell him if he's there in an hour I'll throw in an extra fifty." I said still angrily but willing to push my luck. Sam began talking on the phone.

"He said it's a deal." I sighed with relief. Sam got off the phone.

"Not my fault the bride and groom didn't like my recommendations." I said as I began to blow dry my hair again. "Sam, start getting ready. You only have one hour and thirty minutes! Chop chop!" Sam smiled.

"Sure thing." She said. Sam, short for Samantha, was my assistant; not only my assistant, but my best friend. She was perfect at her job. Both jobs I should say; assistant and best friend.

   After finished up my hair, I did my makeup. A nice neutral earth tone, a little bit of mascara, and a thin line of black liquid eyeliner on the top lid. I grabbed a little cover-up and put on a thin layer. I smiled.

"Shit! I do this every time!" I said to myself. Never put cover-up on before brushing your teeth. I sighed. I grabbed my electric toothbrush, slapped on some toothpaste, and began brushing my teeth. I had to redo my cover-up.

   I walked towards my closet. What to wear. Since this is a "Pretty in Pink" wedding, I should be wearing pink. Shit.

"SAM!" I yelled out, my Irish accent cracking.

"I'm coming Josie!" the thin figure walked into the bedroom. Her blonde hair still wet, and her blue eyes shining as bright as ever.

"Sorry to bother you, but should I go strapless or halter?" I smiled at her.

"There's the smile I've been looking for all morning. I don't think you should do either of them." She said.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "I can't go naked."  I said with a confused look on my face.

"You can't go naked, but you can go in this." She said holding up a hot pink dress. It was knee length and had a thick strap of fabric roses going over the one shoulder.

"I thought you'd like it." She said smiling.

"It's gorgeous Sam! Thank you!" I smiled. You could always count on Sam to buy you an outfit in your time of need.

"I didn't want you to look too Barbie so I thought you could either go with black heels, or white. It's your decision." She smiled.

"I guess I'll go black. Black and pink aren't my favourite but-" I looked over at Sam. "Who would do a Pretty in Pink wedding anyways? Isn't it too Malibu Barbie?" Sam laughed.

"Just get ready." She said as she closed the door.

   I finished getting changed. I looked at myself in the mirror. Fabulous! I grabbed my black clutch and walked over to my dresser. I grabbed my Guess Gold perfume and sprayed some on. I walked out of my room as Sam walked out of hers. She wore one of my pink strapless minis. She loved those dresses.

"Ready?" I smiled.

"Ready." She replied back.

   We locked up the house and hopped into the car. I hopped into the driver's seat. The venue today was The Palace. Many couples held their reception at The Palace. It was a beautiful ballroom. We finally arrived after driving for 45 minutes. There was tons of available parking since it was 10 o'clock in the morning and the reception didn't start until two. I walked into The Palace and smiled.

"Good morning Josie!" Stan called out. Stan was another one of my assistants. He usually drove to the venues two hours before I did to make sure all the correct decorations and flowers arrived on time. He also was responsible for setting up the requested church decorations such as bows and flowers, before the ceremony. He looked sharp in his white dress shirt, black vest, and pink bow tie.

"You're looking great Stan! Everything under control?" I smiled.

"As you can see, you're white roses and turning red!" He said happily. "Thanks to Diesel."

 I sighed. I pulled out some cash from my clutch.

"There's 160 dollars. Give that to Diesel for me. Have all the other decorations arrived on time? Are all the bows on the chairs pink? I don't see any bows on the chairs!" I said.

"Leslie put them in the box over in the corner." He said.

"Why are they in a box! They'll get wrinkled!" I shouted. Stan called over two workers and told them to begin putting the pink bows on the chairs.

"Thank you Stan." I smiled.

"No problem Josie." He smiled back. "Just try to be calm until cocktail hour." He smiled as he walked away. Ha! So funny.  I thought to myself. I turned to look at Sam.

"Will you be okay here? I have to head down to the church for the ceremony. I'll be sitting in the back like always. Text me ASAP if you need anything or if anything goes wrong." I said.

"No problem boss!" she smiled.