Chapter Ten ~ Please Be Careful

Start from the beginning

"Oh right, of course. My Dad, yeah he's my-"

"Your Father?" His eyes widen and the coy look is replaced by a shocked one. "I thought you had no idea knew who he was?"

"I didn't, I got a phone call out of the blue. He only found out about me last year. Long story short I've been seeing a lot of him the last couple months, he's actually quite sweet. He's really made an effort with me."

"I can't believe this whole time you didn't even mention it to me once. Your friends, do they know?"

"Yes, but only because it's impossible to keep secrets from them-"

"And it's easy to keep them from me, right?" He stands statue still in the space beside the bed, not even blinking. I stay silent and scoot out of the bed myself, feeling a little exposed after realising I'm wearing only his t-shirt and my underwear. He doesn't pay any attention to my bare legs though, doesn't even move a muscle.

"It's really not like that, Robert. You had everything going on with Avri, I didn't want to worry you."

"Discovering that you can so effortlessly hide things from me does just that, Kendall." He shifts a little, the tension in his stance easing off a little. He turns around, glancing out of the window. "Can I have my shirt back please?" he murmurs, facing away from me. I look down at the black t shirt.

"Sure, just a second," I reply, whipping it off and grabbing a vest and some sweat pants from a chest of drawers behind me. After I've slipped back into my own clothing, I make my way around the bed and stand next to Robert, holding the T-shirt up for him to take. He looks down at the bundle of fabric, taking hold of it before straightening it out and pulling it over his head to put back on. I at least got to enjoy the view until now.

"So what happens now? How do I get out of this one?"

"I don't know, Robert. I didn't exactly anticipate you'd be here right now. My guess is he's already heard us talking, so the politest move would be introducing you." He pulls the pokerface expression that he's oh so brilliant at, before nodding his head once and gesturing for me to leave the room so he can follow. I head towards the sitting room, Robert following my lead.

Robert's PoV

"Dad, this is Robert." Kendall smiles as she walks towards the tall, scruffy looking man sat on the couch. I'm so disappointed in Kendall for not telling me. After all the time we've spent together, she didn't once think to mention it. The guy springs to his feet quickly.

"Hi," I respond, holding a hand out to shake his with a well-pretended smile.

"Robert, hi. I'm Daniel, Kendall's old man." He shakes my hand, a little stronger and more vigorous than I expected based on the thinness of his frame. Something doesn't feel right, I can't quite put my finger on it. "Excuse me if I'm being assumptive, but by Robert, do you mean...the Robert?" he questions, looking at Kendall whilst furrowing his brows. Kendall blushes, looking at the ground before glancing back at Daniel. The Robert? How fascinating.

"Yes, Dad, actually it is." She looks at me and smiles nervously. Only when Daniel lets go do I realise he was still gripping onto my hand. I allow my arm to resume its natural position, discreetly wiggling my fingers a little to regain circulation.

"In that case, I feel very privileged. I hear you're a very prestigious man, Mr. Downey." He smiles at me again, but I still sense something is off.

"I'm glad whoever told you that thinks so, Sir." I tilt my head, directing a sardonic half-smile towards Kendall. She rolls her eyes at me before turning back to her father.