~Chapter 10~

THIRD POV

Ian walked the seemingly abandoned street scanning for a gas station. When he looked to the side he realized that Barely was not keeping up with him. He stopped and sighed as he watch the little Barley run up the sidewalk.

"Can we take a little break?" he asked panting, "By baby legs can't go that fast!" With an eye roll, Ian plucked Barley off the ground, but then Barley exclaimed "Look a gas station!"

"Oh good." Ian relieved as looked down the road and indeed, saw a gas station. 

"Oh wait, I forgot. You don't need my help." 

Ian grunted and placed Barley into the pocket on his shirt. "Hey, I don't need you to carry me. I'm a grown man." Barley remarked. 

"Well I'm older than you and I'm not complaining." (Y/N) said from Ian's hair. Ian ignored the two and walked toward the gas station. Their dad was feeling around the whole time for (Y/N) and Barley and Ian started to get fed up between the three. 

When Ian did get up to a pump, the revving of motorcycles caused the elves's heads to turn. The bikes parked right outside of the door and suddenly a sprite popped up onto the seat of the bike. After it looked around it whistled and the sprites started to pop up from various parts of the bike. They all dismounted and as the leader sprite was about to open the door, a man walking out hit it by accident. 

"Hey! Did you just bump into me?" it snarled. 

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry." The man said crouching down, "I didn't see you there." 

"Do it again, and you'll see my in your nightmares!" 

The man screamed and ran away, dropping his soda in the process. Ian's face looked really pale as he gazed at the sprites, now opening the door. (Y/N) got up to get a better look and Ian whisper shouted, "Will you stop moving! You feel like a bug is going through my hair?" 

"How do you know what a bug in your hair feels like?" (Y/N) snapped back.

Ian and Barley looked at each other and let out a chuckle. (Y/N)'s face went from angry to terrified real fast. "What did you two do while I was in school?" she hissed. 

The boys refused to answer and Ian opened the door to the gas station shop. The sprites were everywhere! They were climbing all in the shelves and vending machines. 

"Outta the way beanstalk." one spat as it went past Ian to go out the door. 

"Uh, 10 on pump two, please." Ian said to the cashier. From Inside Ian's pocket, Barley saw the cheese puffs. He lunged himself at the rack and a couple of bags fell off. 

"What are you doing?" Ian asked Barley.

"Getting us food." He replied as he struggled with the bags.  

"I got it." Ian said picking up Barley and turning back to the cashier, "And three of these. Thank you." 

"Psst. I have to go to the bathroom." Barley announced tugging on Ian's collar. 

"Can it wait?"

"It's your pocket." 

"Barley, gross." (Y/N) called from Ian's head.

Ian turned back to the cashier once again,  "Can we have the bathroom key, please."

The cashier said no words as he handed Ian the bathroom key. Ian set Barley back down and handed him the key, "Be quick."

"We wanna get out of here." (Y/N) called down.

"Okay, I'm going." 

"That'll be $12.99" the cashier grumbled and Ian stood to pay the guy. Meanwhile, their dad was feeling around with his feet to try and get a hold of his surroundings. He lifted his foot up and squished a sprite with two soda cans. 

"HEY! Watch it!" 

Another sprite was witnessing the scene, and hissed, "You got a problem shades?"

Their dad's head flipped over so that it seemed as if it was being salty at the sprite, which seemed to erk the sprite even more. "Answer me when I'm talking to you."

(Y/N) turned around in Ian's hair and saw the sprite starting to square up to their dad. "Ian..." (Y/N) warned as he shoved the change into his pocket. When he turned around he leaped and grabbed their dad. "I'm sorry." he stuttered, "I don't really know where his his head's at right now."

He turned away from the sprite and practically sprinted out the door, "How could this night get any worse?"

"Ian." (Y/N) said from atop his head and gave him a smile, "You're doing fine." He smiled back at her and scrambled out the door. 

~~~~~~

"You know, I would fly us to your boys, but the old wings aren't what they used to be." The Manticore explained to Laurel. 

"Oh, that's fine. So, about this curse..." Laurel tried before getting interrupted again. 

"It's my own fault. I should be doing my wing exercises every morning, but you know how that goes."

"Please the curse. What does it do?"

"Right. Sorry. It's a Guardian Curse." The Manticore said as she ripped the sleeve off of her shirt showing a tattoo of the Phoenix Gem, "If your kids take the gem, the curse will rise up and assume the form of a mighty beast, and battle your children to the..."

"To the what?"

"Ooh. Well, how do your kids do in a crisis?"

"Not great. One of them is afraid of everything, and the other isn't afraid of anything! (Y/N) is the only one that keeps them sane!" 

"Yeah that skinny kid of yours is pretty fearless."

"No, no. You mean the big one, Barley."

"No, no, the little guy. Ooh, he really let me have it. His sister too."

"What? No, you said you could help them right?" 

"Every curse has a core, the center of it's power." The Manticore explained, "And only one weapon forged of the rarest metals can destroy it, my enchanted sword, the Curse Crusher!"

"Well, okay, but you don't seem to have that on you."

"I sold it. Got in a little tax trouble a few years back. But don't worry, I know just where to find it."

"I am on my way kids, just try to stay out of trouble."