[38] : A STRANGE STORY FROM DUMBLEDORE

Astrid was cleared to go home a few weeks later, but she didn't have a home anymore. She just couldn't stay alone, the memories of Sirius would kill her. They'd tear her apart and leave her in shreds. She couldn't go back to the Malfoys, they would not exactly welcome her back with open arms. And she sure as hell would never stay with Andromeda and Nymphadora, it'd be too awkward, to uncomfortable, it would look right but it wouldn't feel right. She and Nymphadora were part of the Order, yes, they occasionally spoke, yes. But it didn't mean Astrid actually wanted to live with her. She was her sister and Astrid actually liked her but there was Andromeda and Ted. Astrid knew them but she didn't really know them. Maybe if Nymphadora lived alone, maybe, just maybe Astrid would've considered living with her.

And that's how Astrid found herself that night, blowing on hot chicken soup, sitting by the fire with a thin blanket that refused to warm her up at Remus' house. All her life, Astrid didn't know where her favorite uncle Remus lived, and perhaps it was meant to stay like that. Remus lived in a decaying house, with almost no food to feed himself and a wardrobe with very little clothing.

The floorboards creaked and Astrid looked up, almost missing Salazar telling her that someone was approaching her.

"I'm sorry I couldn't give you more than soup Ell, I'll head down to the shops tomorrow morning." Remus said as he sunk beside her. He was wearing his favorite torn coat and Astrid wished he could just throw away the thing. He had the thing as long as she can remember, meaning it could be older than her.

"It's really no matter uncle Remus." Astrid smiled and lightly cursed when she slurped her soup, only for it to be still scorching hot. "I miss the portrait Tonks gifted me."

"I see you refer to her as Tonks now." Remus pointed out and Astrid shrugged, half a smile creeping on her face.

"She's not bad." She shrugged again before blowing on her soup. "And I hear you are talking more with her now." Astrid smirked when Remus suddenly gulped and looked down. Astrid noticed his cheeks were red and she thought it was adorable seeing her favorite uncle in love.

"Do I now?" He asked, cheeks still burning crazy and Astrid laughed.

"You like her, don't you?"

"I —uh— um," He cleared his throat before he stood up. "I'm going to finish setting up your bed, eat your soup before it gets cold. You just left the hospital, you should be in bed already Astrid. You really don't take of yourself, Hermione was right." He shook his head as he disappeared into one of the rooms, and just like that, Astrid lost her appetite.

Remus walking out on her reminded her of something she was yet to do and she sure as hell didn't want to do it. But then again, the memories — dammit, the memories killed her.

*

"You don't get it Professor, I just can't anymore. The memories... They kill me, they're just too much. We spent only two years together." Astrid slouched in the chair at Remus' house the following morning. Just like Remus had promised, he had gone shopping and Dumbledore had thought it'd be an ideal time for him to drop by. Even if Remus were here, the Professor would've thought it'd be the best time. "I can't be part of the Order any longer."

"But you've been a great help Astrid." Dumbledore argued.

"Oh what use was I Professor?" Astrid nearly laughed. "I put Harry and the others in danger, knowing fully well how that night would go." Astrid sighed. "I'm a danger to them sir, I did more damage than help. Neville nearly died, if I hadn't pushed him out the way and took the blast, Merlin only knows what would've happened."

"Your father had a friend once, many years ago. Her name was Ophelia Lourdes, she was friends with everyone. Severus, Lily, James, Peter and Remus, but she was most close with Remus. Ophelia made a mistake once, claiming that her aunt wanted to protect her. But really, Ophelia needed protection from her dreams." Dumbledore sighed. "You see, Ophelia had lost a brother, who was obsessed with finding the Chamber of Secrets and he died on Hogwarts grounds. She was constantly teased for that fact and that's when she used the Cruciatos curse on a boy and naturally, many feared her after that. She was still teased however." He sighed again. "She too died on Hogwarts grounds, she jumped off the Astronomy Tower. She was unsuccessful the first time because I slowed down her momentum, though she was brutally injured. The second time however did it."

"I'm sorry Professor, but I don't really see why you told me that story." Astrid said, knitting her brows together in confusion.

"It felt right at the moment. You doubted your worth, as did Ophelia. Dreams plagued Ophelia, much like you." Dumbledore shrugged his shoulders. "But I will let you know that the story might be of some help and importance in the future." He winked at her.  "I best be on my way then Ms Black, another time." He disappeared before he reached the door and seconds later, Remus came in.

"I thought I heard Dumbledore." He said, struggling to balance the three bags he had. "A little help would be nice Ell."

Astrid refrained herself from rolling her eyes at him and went to help him instead. "He left a few seconds before you came, you know how dramatic Dumbledore can be." Astrid grunted as she picked the bag up. "Much like you."

"I wasn't being dramatic Ell, these things are heavy. By the way, Molly has invited us to dinner." He said, floorboards groaning like crazy when he walked to the kitchen and Astrid followed close behind. "She said we each get to invite a plus one, mine's Nymphadora."

"Oh, will —um— Charlie be there?" Astrid asked as fast as she could and she felt her cheeks go red.

Remus thankfully didn't look at her as he began unpacking the canned food he bought. "He left for Romania the day you awoke, apparently whatever Misty had was contagious and the other dragons are catching it."

"Oh, that's great." Astrid said and flushed a deeper red when Remus looked at her with a brow raised. "I mean him leaving for Romania is great! Obviously the whole dragon disease thing isn't! That part is super bad!" Astrid yelled out and could feel her palms getting sweaty. "Yeah that part is super horrible! I'll stop talking now." She sighed, sinking into a chair.

Remus chuckled lightly. "You're more in love than I am." Astrid groaned. "Are you going to tell him?"

"No! And neither are you! Don't even mention it!" She sighed. "It's not like he even likes me, might as well go for the alive version of Cedric, sorta, over cocky but still really handsome Leo."

"Any boy who doesn't like you is a fool Ell."

"Thanks uncle Remus, now, let's go figure out who'll be my plus one." Astrid said, smiling as she stood up and began pulling Remus away from the kitchen.