Madelline lay peacefully on a bed while Alice brushes her chestnut, brown hair. Rosalie was the one who changed her bloodied clothes into a pair of new ones.

Elijah sat in the lounge area where the rest of the family were yet still close enough to where Madelline was. His eyes scanned the vampires in front of him one by one, silently studying them. They look disheveled, their eyes looked even more tired, and each had their own way of showing how antsy they were. With just one look, he knew he can entrust Madelline in their hands, but not to Charlie Swan's daughter anymore.

"The lot of you must have been worried," he starts and earns their attention almost right away. "Unfortunately, the venom inside her wasn't James' anymore. It's hers."

They immediately sat up straight, eyebrows furrowing in confusion as their minds were filled with hundreds of questions.

"You see, Madelline and I are not exactly humans—like all of you," he illustrates by using them as an example. "But, Madelline doesn't know that. Even before this catastrophe happened, she was just a normal human being."

"If you don't mind me asking... what are you?" Carlisle asked.

"We were hybrids—the first of our kind. Part vampire... and part demon. Maddy's transformation was delayed by a certain friend of mine. The condition was, her vampire side is not to be triggered by any venom of a supernatural before her demon side can be activated."

Jasper looked up from his hands and met Elijah's eyes. "What happens if it was triggered?"

Elijah stares back into his eyes. "She would have to undergo both transitions."

"What?"

Expressions of disbelief and murmurs of question filled the air. Jasper's worry intensifies as he looked at where Madelline currently resided.

"But, that would mean the pain is ten times more excruciating," Rosalie trailed off. "Right?"

Elijah slowly nodded his head.

"Will she undergo the transition within three days just like a regular vampire?" Carlisle asked.

"It depends on how her body would withstand both of her transitions," Elijah answered.