Chapter 12

Chapter twelve- Dangerous Thoughts

Lainey thought she knew loneliness.

Sitting for weeks on end in that tiny hospital room, the only visitor a nurse in horrible lime green robe who didn't meet her eye. She thought she understood boredom, the horrible feeling of having to wallow in her own self pity and regret everything she hadn't the chance to do yet.

Returning to Hogwarts was nothing new. The Gryffindors ignoring her and the constant lack of decent company was fine. She was used to it, having a horrendous summer.

And then that bastard started keeping her company, started the joking and bickering. And left.

You couldn't miss what you didn't have.

And fuck, did Lainey miss it.

The rumours had stopped, with everyone believing them to have had a fight and 'broken up'. It didn't matter either way. Hermione had told the Gryffindors about Lainey's lack of a rise to her defence, not that it would have mattered much anyway. And the Slytherins had noticed Malfoy's distinct return to his snarly self. So, though the Slytherins had remained neutral thus far in the year, they had returned to being...themselves. Towards Lainey, of course.

The jinxes didn't really increase, but the remarks were a constant.

She was called almost every name under the sun; it seemed as though everyone had their own opinion on Lainey's life, as though it was any of their business.

Lainey didn't sleep.

The sheer thought of Malfoy having her list was infuriating. It was her list, her accomplishments. Her hold on sanity.

Lainey could picture him now, handing it around the Slytherin common room, everyone having a good old laugh. Shit, an angry Malfoy was likely to spread rumours around. Or truths. Everyone should know she was ill by now. Fantastic.

So, she didn't sleep. She stumbled straight to the dungeon instead of breakfast, intending to forgo the walk of shame when class started. As it was, she didn't need to. Almost everyone ignored her, except Neville, who only gave her a rueful little shake of the head.

Malfoy didn't even glance at her when she entered the room; his mask was in perfect position.

It hurt a hell of a lot more than it should.

The entire potions class was spent in silence; Slughorn even seemed uncomfortable, shuffling awkwardly as he coughed and observed the room. It was fair to say that Lainey was the first from the room, and first to the next class.

The remarks started then.

"Hey, Lainey."

God.

Wanting anything other than to reply to her housemate, Lainey sighed before facing him. They had been sniggering for the past ten minutes, making glances at her. It was obvious some comment was coming.

"Heard you had a little lovers spat. Didn't think you would let any one hit ya around, Rhianna."

"Fuck off Dean." Lainey snarled, grabbing her bags and leaving the room. Sure, the class wasn't even half over, but who cared? What could they do? Throw her in detention?

Who the hell was Dean to comment? He barely spoke to Lainey, even when they were friends. That bloody reference...sure, only the muggleborns would understand, but the fairly obvious sniggering was a bit of an indication that the statement wasn't the nicest. And after Harry had protected him from Malfoy...what a bloody wanker.