35 | davy jones

You had been sailing for just over three years when it began. You had asked Davy Jokes just a week before if something like this could happen.

He looked at you, "Maybe if we're lucky the sea will take our faces and not our souls,"

You looked at the rest of the crew; mainly a male cook turned second mate and a female deckhand. You knew they had the same feelings as you, it was just a case if they were brave enough to say it.

All was quiet on the Flying Dutchman and Jones looked at you, domineering you in his years of piracy and now commanding his own locker of forsaken souls - of which you were one of the first to find residency in.

"If that is all of the stupid questions you have, I will be going," He turned his back to your group and walked towards his office at the back of the ship, the others seeing there was no more action left as well, you stood there watching your captain leave, he hesitated at the door, "I will not let that happen." He muttered.

A bit of you hoped that would be the case, that the curse wouldn't change you or him but it was too late for hope.

---

You noticed it at sunset. There was a breeze splattered with salt water droplets and a couple hit your neck and as you went to wipe them away, your hand came back with a long shallow cut down your finger. Staring at it, wondering if it was yet to bleed you, you felt a chill rise in your body.

Your skin did not feel like your skin; it was slick and cool and sharp at one end. Your fingernail hit the edge of something and you pulled it off, tearing skin away in the process. This time you did bleed and in return you had in your hand you held a scale.

It glinted in the dying light, turning from blue to green and purple like a fishes, and you felt your stomach sinking as you saw a droplet of your blood on it. You were sick over the side of the ship and you leaned over for a long time after that.

"What's with you?" Davy Jones asked from behind you and the sick feeling turned into one of almost absolute destroying anger.

Turning to him you held up the scale to him and thrust it in his face, "This. This is the problem!"

At first all he felt was confusion but as his eyes diverted their gaze to your from the scale he saw a thin line of blood following down your neck and dripping over a patch of scaled that stretched form midway on your neck down to your collarbone.

Davy Jones stared at you for a long time before he looked down and outstretched his hand. Rolling up his shirt you could see the change that the sea had graces him with. You had to touch it to prove it to yourself, it was a dark burgundy colour, hard and without any veins or arteries; resembled that of a crabs or lobster and it stretched all the way to his thumb which to your horror had begun to resemble the smaller part of a claw.

"The curse of the sea upon us." He told you and he put his other hand over yours, this one looking normal.

"No, your curse, Jones." You wretched your hand away and he seemed shocked for a moment before rolling down his sleeve.

"It became yours when you signed the deal I offered you." He replied, a prominent frown deep set on his face from behind his long beard.

"I didn't think that would involve becoming a monster."

He looked at you in the same way he did all those years ago, when you were as close to death as a mere mortal can dear to tread, "Don't pretend you were never one, and don't blame me when the world is able to see it."

You decided the world did not want to see your new condition, so you left for below decks and never came up again.

--

The condition of you and the crew grew worse with each and every passing day, there was now a strong thirty of you all slowly becoming less human with each tide.

You mainly did your duties below deck, avoiding the captain at all costs and had been successful for around five years - never seeing him and never wanting to - until today.

His office had grown just like you to resemble the scenery on the sea floor. Coral encrusted with water dripping off every surface and what was once shined wood stood lack lustre and sodden. You stared intently at the piano and wondered if you would ever be able to play it looking down at your webbed fingers, no longer your skin colour but like almost every other inch of your body glinting through the spectrum when lit hit the lattice of scales.

You wondered what had become of Davy Jones and the man you once were actually particularly fond of. When you told Bootstrap the story of first realising he had told you how Jones hand now resembled a lobster claw and was larger then his face. He told you nothing more, saying he could not find the words. You did not take that as a good sign.

Jones was already late so you decided to try out the organ. With your webbed hand you couldn't strecth far and often you hit two notes at the same time when you didn't mean to. The barnacles that were splatted along your wrist hurt as they were scrapped along the ivory keys - at first when they randomly started to appear on your body you had picked them off - now you did not have the patience.

Just as you had managed to play a bad melody the door opened behind you. You stopped in your tracks and turned around instantly - he was unrecognisable.

You actually had to cover your mouth to hide your surprise, or at least to attempt to.

"Captain-" You breathed out and watched in morbid curiosity as the tentacles that moved around where his beard used to be, "My goodness

"Captain-" You breathed out and watched in morbid curiosity as the tentacles that moved around where his beard used to be, "My goodness."

Davy Jones had always been of a bigger build but now he dominated the room, and there was no more you could say as you saw his claw hand and his slimy skin.

You had almost forgotten about the transformation you had gone through. He moved forward and with deformed hand with its own large tentacle he draped a hand down your hair. It was completely made of seaweed that was constantly damp and lay limp all the way to your waist. He saw the gills on your neck move up and down as he pulled the hair behind your ears that stretched all the way past the back of your head.

"It never grew back." He said as he stared at the centimetre speck of your skin you had pulled out your first scale.

You shook your head. After all the years, he still had the same eyes and smile which seemed to be uncharacteristically warm as he looked at you.

Despite it all though, it was all wrong and seeing the captain only confirmed your own thoughts, "The monster in you is not hard to miss now Captain. So much for never letting it happen."

"I don't see a monster in front of me." He replied.

You looked at him for a second, "I've always seen one."

-

a/n well, first time writing for Davy Jones and let me say - after watching that gif too many times I am probably scarred by those tentacles moving - a bit different from normal but loved trying it.