Chapter 1: Tropical Paradise

"nǚ shì men, xiān shēng men, wǒ men de háng bān zhèng zài dēng jī"

(Ladies and gentlemen, our flight is boarding.)

Edel walked slowly towards the gate, today she's travelling to Hainan from Beijing City, China.

The latter is just like any other city in the world, so much noise and pollution. She wants to unwind and have a breath of fresh air.

This is her 1st time to visit China. Although Korea and China is a neighbor country, it was the last country she wished to visit.

She was now boarding business class, the flight attendant guided her to her seat.

"xie, xie" (thanks) as she put her luggage inside the compartment.

"bu yong xie" (you're welcome) the flight attendant replied.

Edel then sat comfortably in the lounge and doze off before the airplane take off.

.....................................................................

" wo men de hang ban ma shang zhou lu."

(Our flight is landing soon.)

Edel was suddenly awaken by the announcement. The 4-hour flight pass by in the blink of an eye. She fixed her self and look outside the window.

Her eyes lit by the breath taking view of Hainan island.

I never expect that this place would be that great.

she thought to her self and smile. Edel  suddenly feels excited to roam around the city.

___ ___

Edel is now in Sanya phoenix international airport.

She stood in the side of the road as she waits for her ride when a man bump into her.

"Hey! Be careful!" she yelled, being caught of guard.

The man never bothered to look back and continued to walk directly to the convertible car parked just a meter away. 

Ungentle man is everywhere, didn't even care to apologize!

Edel just left out a sigh looking at the back of the man.

"Jerk!" she murmured when the car from the hotel which she's going to stay arrived.

The driver apologize by the delay and after a 30 minutes drive, they arrived at the Mandarin Oriental in Sanya. 

The hotel is a luxury resort located in Sanya city on the southeastern coast of the island of Hainan, Peoples republic of China.

Sometimes referred to as “the Chinese Hawaii”, the resort area has earned a reputation as a top tourist destination.

The resort is famous for its private bay and lush garden surroundings, which instantly make it feel like a secluded hideaway.

"Wow! what a wonderful view" she exclaimed. Edel stayed in  the Terrace room.

The ocean View Room felt spacious, light and airy.

The bed was big and amazingly comfortable, like in every Mandarin Oriental hotel she've visited so far.

The decor of the room felt tropical but modern, with wooden floors, waved elements and colorful fabric details.

The room offers a nice seating area as well as ample desk and drawers.

The best thing about the room was definitely its breathtaking view of Coral Bay and the South Chinese Sea.

What a treat to wake up to such a view each morning. 

The cold breeze air touches her skin. She feels relax and serene at the moment.

Edel walked to bed and unpack her luggage. She will be staying in this paradise for a week.

Edel pick up the picture frame from the pile of clothes. She touches the object and stare intently to the people in the photograph.

I Hope all of you are in good health and do not miss me too much.

She kissed the picture and put it in the bedside table.

Edel always carry the family picture where ever she go so that she'll not miss them so much.

After unpacking her clothes, edel took a shower and went down to have late lunch at the Pavilion: a poolside restaurant serving Mediterranean- and Asian-inspired menu items.

The food was delicious and the interior of the place is very cozy. She enjoyed her late lunch very much.

Afterwards, Edel take a walk to explore the area. There were duplex villas, spa village, 3 big outdoor pools and there were actually 10 restaurants and bars inside the property including the pavilion.

The best part of course was the beach along Coral Bay. The beach area is divided into a watersport- and a swimming-zone.

The views along the bay are beautiful, the atmosphere in the resort is calm and laid back.

Even though there were plenty of other guests at the time. Instead of loud music at the pool areas, you can hear the many birds sing. The whole ambience feels more like a secluded retreat than a beach resort.

She can't stop praising the place when a man broke Edel's thought.

"Good afternoon ma'am, we'll have a moonlight party this evening at Sunset bar. Hope you'll be there" the staff said with a big smile.

"errr...... Thanks, but I don't know if I could come. Im not really into parties" she said shyly.

"Oh what a lost if you don't come, I heard that a famous celebrity would join the party" the staff said eagerly.

As if I know any chinese celebrity.

"ha ha, really, thank you for the invitation" she replied wanting to end the conversation.

"My pleasure, enjoy your vacation." and the staff leave.

Hayy, should I go or not? Suddenly curious.

It's been a long time since she went to a party and the experience was not good, that's why she avoid parties at all cost specially when drinks are involve.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Author's note:

How's the 1st chapter? Did you enjoy/ like it?😊💓

The release of the 1st chapter was a bit long because I don't know how to put into words the things I have in mind. The picture was very clear in my head, but because english was not my 1st language I have a hard time choosing the right words to use.

Also since the setting was in China, I did some research to make the story realistic. I chose the Mandarin Oriental, Sanya because the place perfectly matches the one I have in mind.

I read some reviews, articles to have insight of what the place looks like to make the story telling convincing and for the readers to visualize the place vividly. I copied some of the description from below.

References:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Oriental,_Sanya

https://blogs.transparent.com/chinese/chinese-lesson-on-the-plane/

https://www.passportandpalmtree.com/hotel-review-mandarin-oriental-sanya/

https://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/mandarin-oriental-sanya.html