Chapter 1

You still weren't sure why you had chosen to accept this job. It was currently quarter to six - fifteen more minutes and you'd be out of this damn place. You were jolted from your thoughts as you heard heavy footsteps, then a few deep breaths. Shaking, you turned to the door, where a figure stood shrouded in shadows.

"Oh god..." With a sharp inhale, you began to lean closer to the button which would shut the door - but you didn't make it. A cold hand grabbed your wrist, causing you to let out a shriek and begin to struggle.

"Let me go!" You exclaimed.

"Now why would I do that?", a voice replied, rusty from lack of use. You tipped your head, hesitantly peering at the stranger out of the corner of your eyes. It was a tall boy, with soft blue eyes and carefully styled chestnut hair. He wore a white blouse with a pinstriped brown vest, black dress pants, and black dress shoes. A black top hat rested on his head, tilted slightly to the side in an effort to complete his outfit.

"W-who are you...?" You stammered, wincing as his grip tightened almost imperceptibly on your wrist.

"Isn't that obvious?" He smirked, making a sweeping gesture with his free hand that could almost be recognized as a bow.

"You can't be..." Your eyes widened as the realization began to hit you, causing you to feel a bit lightheaded. "That's...that's not possible..." You continued shakily.

"Oh, but it is dear", he smirked, reaching up with his other hand to gently push a strand of your hair out of your eyes.

You could feel your cheeks turning a light shade of red. You had to admit, the well put-together stranger standing in front of you seemed rather charming. Whatever face you were making, he seemed to notice, a gentle smile replacing the smirk that had been plastered on his face before.

"You must be [y/n]." As he said this, he tugged gently on your wrist, forcing you to lean towards him. This didn't sit well with you, and you struggled against him, straining to break free.

"Let me go!" You shrieked, only to have your efforts stopped as he pulled you close to his chest and hummed placatingly.

"My dear [y/n], a gift for you~" He said, smoothly producing a rich crimson-colored rose from his somewhere deep in his vest pocket. Although something deep within you urged you not to accept the flower, you took it delicately, gazing at it in awe. Before you had time to ask anything or thank him, he pressed his cold lips to your hand, the charming smile from earlier returning to his face.

"I hope to see you soon." He bowed slightly, before turning on his heel and disappearing into the dark hallway. You glanced at the clock, only to see it chiming 6:00. Gathering all of your belongings, you hurriedly slung your bag over your shoulder and rushed out, glancing back one last time to see what appeared to be a certain brunette winking your way.