Chapter Two: A Gift to Remember

What. The Hell. Is that. Your couldn't stop yourself from staring, but it felt like it was staring right back at you. Your body shivered with uneasiness. In the corner of the workshop, your father was proudly fidgeting next to what looked to be a large machine: a robot bear to be precise. The bear was white with a purple-pinkish belly, and his cheeks had circles of the same color. His eyes were a faded, deep blue color and his mouth was wide and full of two sets of teeth, the first row fake and the second row sharp metal teeth from what you could see. Where did your father find such a crazy—not to mention scary—thing like that? And why? You had a feeling you knew what it was meant for, but could it really be that?

"Well? Whatcha think?" Your father held his hands behind his back, a smile stretched cheek to cheek as he looked from you to the machine and back again. He felt a sense of pride in him, now that he was presenting the gift of a lifetime to you, his beautiful and only daughter.

"I-I.." you looked to him, then to the large robot, "I-I can't say...I don't really know what to say." You held your head, scratching your fingernails against your scalp in confusion. "What...what the Hell is it? Where did you find it?"

Your dad clicked his tongue and chuckled as if he were a school boy being picked for show and tell. He clapped his hands together. "Well, pumpkin, its one of those fancy robots from one of those pizza places for kids! And surprise, surprise, in great condition!" He laughed, grabbing his hips proudly. "I was at the scrap yard meeting with Roger, you remember Roger right?"

"How could I forget, he babysat me when I was five."

Your dad laughed and nodded, "Yeah! He mentioned to me about how they were bringing this old boy down there since the place he was at wasn't using him anymore! At least that's what Roger told me," he smiled, chuckling to himself as he patted the bear's shoulder. "He's one of a kind, don't you say? He's kinda cute when you look at him hard enough!"

You rolled your eyes. Cute wasn't exactly the word you'd title this thing. "Okay, so you picked up one of these crazy robots from a pizza place and brought him here. Did you ever think of the real reason why he was taken to the scrap yard, Dad?" You crossed your arms as you finally left the doorway. You stood next to your father and huffed, squinting. "You do know that there were tons of murders happening at those places..."

"Ah, kid, those are just stories! Rumors! Sure it was on the news and all but you know how the news is! They always over exaggerate things!" He laughed and gave you a side hug, holding you to him as he looked up at the bear. The animatronic was a bit taller than your father by a foot or so, and he was very wide.

You sighed and looked up to him, "Dad, for real, are you sure this is at good idea? Rumors or not, this thing...its huge. What do you expect to do with it?"

He sighed, and your dad shook his head. "We haven't gotten to that part of life, now have we, sugar cookie?" He smiled and gently ruffled up your hair. "Like I always said—"

"When it happens, it happens. I know," you mumbled and sighed. "I just don't know, is all. It is cool but..." you looked to the side, that creeping, uneasy feeling returning.

Your dad looked back to you, seeing your expression unfold before him. He sighed, pulling away as he headed over to the garage door. "Alright, alright, I'll take it back. As long as you're happy."

You looked up quickly, watching as your disappointed father left you there beside the thing. You felt guilty for turning down this unusual gift. You sighed, looking back to the large bear, then back to your father. "Dad...wait," you began. "It's...It's fine. I'll learn to love it more over time, I'm sure!" You held your arm and smiled weakly. You wanted to regret your sudden decision, but you knew better. Dad does everything he can to make me smile and to give me things. I have to be appreciative of his efforts, no matter what it is. You watched your father's face light up with joy, and he hustled back to pick you up in his arms.