act one, scene one

❝I mean, yes, we're sinking but the music is exceptional

❝I mean, yes, we're sinking but the music is exceptional...❞
☽ ---------------- 🐍🐍🐍 ---------------- ☾

THEY SAY THAT THE DARK DOES NOT destroy the light. That one cannot exist without the other, that for every ounce of evil in the world there is always an equal amount of light. But was it just a line we told ourselves when it became particularly difficult to sleep at night?

And that begged the question; had it always been like this? Riverdale, a town full of darkness, and cruelty, and hatred. When did it happen? Had it slithered in unnoticed, flooding the streets and seeping into every crack while backs were turned? Or had it been invited in? After all, it was Shakespeare who said that hell was empty, all the devils are here.

A teenage girl driving alone on the highway into Riverdale, a near nightly ritual, music so loud she could concentrate on nothing but the song. A group of students gathering at Pop's diner to enjoy milkshakes and music with their peers. Two boys on the Southside of town sitting around a barrel fire at the quarry.

All seemingly normal teenage nights but every picture painted a story.

The gathering at Pop's diner was an attempt to keep the popular business open after Fred Andrews had been shot and nearly killed right inside it's doors. Tension hung thick over the two boys on the Southside, questioning how they were going to pay bills and stay afloat. And the teenage girl behind the wheel on the highway?

She came to a sputtering stop on the shoulder of the road, directly in front of the big welcome sign that read 'Welcome to Riverdale, the town with pep!'.

Karma was a real bitch sometimes.

Sliding the gear shift into park Theo Cohen laid her head back against the seat rest and stared at the roof of the car, her lips pursed together tightly. The seconds ticked by slowly, and enveloped in deafening silence she lifted her head and slammed the heels of her palms against the steering wheel, the car horn sounding and drowning out the sounds of the screams that left her mouth.

When her throat was raw and her hands were pulsing with pain Theo leaned her head back against the seat, blowing her hair out of her face she muttered, "Stuck on the side of the road in a cheerleading uniform... sounds like every 80's slasher fic ever made."

The list of people she could call was short. Neither one of her moms would react with steadiness. No, in fact, she would probably end up locked in her bedroom with bars on the windows for the rest of her life with nothing to do other than to talk to an imaginary lizard.

Mari was about as useless as everyone else on the cheer squad, she'd be with them at Pop's and it was hard enough to get her on the phone on a good day.

And so she was left with one other option.

The boy who would arrive with his arms crossed over his chest and a smug smile plastered on his face, tossing out some line about starting up a rescue business for damsels in distress.