Chapter One: Way back When

Lamont Gates

-
"I hope your ready for today son." My dad exclaimed while rubbing my shoulder. My dad was inviting some of his colleagues over for a family barbecue, and wanted me to meet some of them. Some day he says, I'm to take over his business.

"Yeah, I guess." I said nodding giving him a sly smile and walking into my cove. I wasn't ready to drop my secret lifestyle, to become something that big. It was just too much pressure.

I locked the door behind me, making sure my parents weren't able to get in. I sat at the desk and pulled out three shoeboxes, I called Devin, my closest friend and started the process of separation.

"You know we would make so much money if you took over your father'a business. It would be more of a cover up than it is now." He commented. Devin was a bit older than me and came from a more rough neighborhood, although he was street smart he was never really book smart.

"When you bring a legal business, to cover and illegal business it's so much that can go wrong." I said separating the weed in each box. "We bring in 50g, each a month. My end is covered because of my fathers occupation."

"Lamont, our hustle has nothing on the big dogs out here. You either step of be stepped." I shook my head putting grams in their small bags.

"I wish you would educate yourself a bit more my friend! I don't think mixing the two will be a good idea." I shook my head putting grams in their small bags. "Besides, I don't think my father is ready to step down right this second."

"We can take this shit further. We can make this work Lamont." He added, I ushered him to change the subject. I didn't want to hear it. Although selling drugs was a secret to my parents, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take the news so lightly. On top of that whatever consideration my father would have on handing the company over would be thrown out.

I have to move differently.

"Well, Finish you product. Bag it, meet me and Lupo's, I have a plan." Devin instructed before he ended the call. I shook my head once again, finishing my product.

Once I bagged everything and double checked my product I made my way downstairs to pack everything in my car. While walking out the front door my mother caught me.

"Where you rushing off too?" She asked folding her arms together. I can tell she was preparing for the barbecue as she had her sweats on with a apron over.

"Devin and I had a few plans." I lied walking over to my car and throwing my bag in the back. She furrowed her eyebrows together, She knew it was last minute and didn't like anything that could interrupt plans.

"Please be safe son, and don't be late! Be back before 4." She yelled out and closed the door behind her. I sighed while starting my car.

I pulled up and Lupo's, he lived in a middle class neighborhood. Although his area was nice it was full with pigs. You always had to watch your back in his neck of the woods.

I grabbed the backpack from the back, I made my way to his back door and did the knock indicating it was one of us coming through. Devin opened the door and led me to the back room where we counted our producers together and stashed it in the safe.