Chapter 7

"I've never been here before."

Arlo lied straight through his teeth as they approached the familiar café. "Really?" the other student asked him, his eyes were wide with surprise. Arlo begrudgingly shook his head. "Well, you're gonna like it, I just know it." He said as he opened the door for Arlo. The king paused for a second as he eyed the other student. His eyes shifted from his stark black hair to his own reflection in the glass door. A part of him felt comfort in seeing his reflection in the glass. Not in a narcissistic way, no. But in a nostalgic way. Seeing his reflection in the glass reminded him of the last time he was at this establishment and - more importantly - who he was with at the time. 

Arlo shook his head again, clearing a minted haired boy from his head. "We'll see about that." He entered the building for what it felt like the first time in years. As he pushed through the door it was as if the air around them had changed. Like entering a new planet. Another atmosphere. Although on the outside of the Cafe Arlo had felt a sense of endearment, that had quickly changed. His eyebrows drew together slightly. What a shame, he had thought to himself. He eyed the noirette as they both took their seats at a booth. 

Did he really have to take me here of all places? 

Arlo's eyes wandered across the tops of the other booths in an attempt to locate where he had sat last time he was here. Whatever, he tried to shoo away a gnawing feeling that was starting to catch his breath. I came here for one thing. It doesn't matter what happened before. 

"Arlo?"

His eyes snapped back to the teen in front of him. "What?" Arlo answered, his response a bit too prickly than he had wanted it to be. "Are you doing okay over there?" The other student lifted a thick eyebrow at him. Arlo paused a second before sparing him a faux grin. "Just peachy." Arlo replied jokingly. At that the noirette chuckled a bit. 

"So, John, what type of drinks do they have here?" Arlo asked just before a waitress brought menus over. "They have tons of drinks here. Smoothies, coffee, tea, anything really." John exclaimed with his hands. He seemed pretty excited. Something about it made him ruminate about his predecessor's excitement on the occasions he'd invite him to this Cafe. "They even have things like muffins and small cakes to go with the drinks too." John continued. Arlo nodded as he picked up a menu that a waitress had set down. He considered the listed drinks. His eyes scanned the menu, lingering on the section entitled "BOBA." The letters were bold and in a bubbly font. The adolescence of it made him smirk.

 "So, Arlo," John started up again. Arlo internally sighed, looking up from the menu to make eye contact with John. "'You ever had boba tea before?" The corner of John's mouth made their way into a soft smile. The curl of it was unsuspecting and welcoming. The King dismissed it. Arlo wouldn't be fooled, not again.

"Nope." Arlo lied again. He knew for a fact he had tried. Stolen sips sneaked in the midst of conversation from Rei's straw was what immediately came to mind. His laugh echoing in his ears, going on about something and being "sneaky" and "if you wanted some you could've just asked." Arlo didn't want to be here anymore. He was far too out of place here. Especially with him. So, why is he still here? To execute his plan? Surely. But at the cost of all these invasive memories conquering his thoughts? Maybe he should've just told John he didn't like boba. That he hated. That he had tried it once and never wanted to try it again. But that would've been a lie. For he knew that in the company of a kind haired boy he would be more than willing to steal a few more sips.