RCU 1.5: Saving Private Oliver

Start from the beginning

Now this is where I made things difficult because my brilliant plan involves pinning it down, and lost are innately stronger than me which means I get one shot to take the mask before needing to kill it.

(Y/N): I am such a fucking idiot for doing this alone.

I turn the lost around so it is facing me, and thanks to the lack of foot(ing) I also easily push the lost onto the ground where I can use my legs to pin down its arms. I grasp at the mask and start pulling, but at this point the lost begins struggling and makes it hard to keep him under me. After some struggle I manage to get the mask off, but end up falling backwards for the fiftieth time today thanks to my pulling and the lost's pushing.

(Y/N): Ugh, someone hasn't brushed in a couple decades. This mask stinks.

I swear these things are smarter than they tell you at school, because as soon as I say that it gets a grip on my left leg and starts digging its fingers into it. Holding a scream in I thrust my sword at its skull before it manages to break my leg, it takes a couple seconds for the body to turn to mist and even when dying it kept a tight grip on me, but once its gone I get back on my feet and run towards Luca and Oliver, completely ignoring the pain.

Luca: What was all that (Y/N)? And why are you bleeding?

(Y/N): Doesn't matter, here's a filter for Oliver. Change it while I bandage myself up.

Luca catches the mask I tossed her, and I frantically start to bandage my wounds before my blood attracts all the lost in the cave or worse yet makes Oliver too hungry.

A few minutes later

Oliver's filter was a bit different, but luckily the new filter fit with a bit of force and was still mostly intact. I stopped my bleeding and it didn't attract any extra nuisances in the process. So overall, crisis averted for now.

Oliver: Thank you (Y/N). You really didn't have to do all that.

(Y/N): Don't sweat it. Can't be losing you now, can we?

Oliver: *Chuckles* Yeah, but putting yourself on the line was a bit much right?

(Y/N): Maybe...

Oliver is both right and wrong. Right because I should have taken Luca with me to make things easy, but wrong because now I have their gratitude and that hopefully stops them from taking me as a food-slave.

Though I don't really think they are tricking me anymore, Oliver seems too kindhearted, and while I can't read Luca's expressions — or lack of expressions, I understand that what looked like a smile through her mask when Oliver started breathing more steadily was pure and kind.

(Y/N): But still, the filter isn't exactly a perfect fit and you already inhaled enough miasma. Do try to not spend so much energy for now.

Luca: Leave the fighting to me. You two just stay in the back.

(Y/N): ...

(Y/N): Maybe I can lower my guard a bit around them. Just a bit?

(Y/N): Alright, time to move on.

As soon as I get up my leg flares up with pain and I fall to my knees, immediately grabbing it with both hands.

(Y/N): Ugh... At least the ladder is back there.

Oliver: Here, let me help you.

He slings my arm around his shoulder to support me while we walk. This time though, when I look back up Luca is holding a massive, saw-bladed greatsword.

(Y/N) and Oliver: Didn't you say you couldn't...

Luca: Now I can. Let's move.

Oliver: Right, we should focus on finding blood beads. After all, that girl is waiting for you.

A girl waiting for Luca? Are their — for lack of a better word owners holding one of them hostage? Not really my business, but that's a dick move no matter who or what you are.

With that last thought, we start moving again. Hopefully the exit isn't too far from here.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Well, the man lives this time and it is all thanks to you my dear readers. Speaking of thanks, 180 reads and #32 in revenant gets a big thanks to all of you from me.

Now lets see if I can grind another chapter for this week while I study for finals.

Also here's a little something:

Comment what I should name this girl before I finish the Ruined City Center chapters (1 or 2, we'll see how many it takes)

With that said, see you all later.