15

Kyle

When I walk in through the door Mimi is in front of me. Her face contorted with concern. I hang up my helmet and slide off my leather jacket and hang it up beside it as I say: "What's up, Sis?"
"We need to talk."
"Oookay," I sit down, expecting her to do the same but she doesn't. Instead she paces, biting her nails she just went and had done that morning. I saw the receipt. Who gets their claws done for twenty-five pounds, it's fucking madness. "What's this about, Mim?"
"First, promise me you won't do anything dumb." She stares at me, running her hands through her red hair.
"Um, sure?"
"Say it!"
"I promise, big sis, that I won't do anything dumb. Now what the hell's going on?"
She finally sits down, playing with a cold cup of tea in her hands nervously. "Beck is here."
"Is she alright?" By the look on her face I could tell the answer was no. I began to panic. My heart thumping against my chest. "Where is she?"
"Asleep, in your room."
I move to stand but she catches my arm. "Kyle, she's pretty banged up."
"The fuck happened, Mimi?" I demand, pulling my arm away and storming towards my room. My fists are clenched, my body shaking with rage as I open the door a little and see the woman I love's battered form lying in my bed. She's laying on her side, her black eye visible in the light of the hallway. She's wearing one of my t-shirts that is way too big for her and I notice deep bruising on her chest. "Are those knee prints?" My voice is cold, dead.
"I think so." Mimi answers hesitantly.
"Whose?" My jaw tightens and I realise I'm grinding my teeth. She tries to touch my arm to pull me away but I shrug her off. Unable to turn away from the site. "Tell me."
"She told me it was her Dad."
"Did she say why the fucker did it?"
"Apparently, he saw you two together when you took her home."
"That's all?" I spin around, fury igniting my blood to boil. I see red, and push by Mimi and down the stairs. She follows after me, imploring me to don't do anything rash. I slide on my jacket and grab my black helmet, slipping it on after I ask my sister: "if it was me, would you sit back and not do anything rash?"
"That's different." Her arms wave around as she desperately tries to make her point.
"How?" I flick the screen down on the helmet but she flicks it back up.
"You're my brother."
"And I love her." She stills as the words leave my mouth. "I will not sit by and watch her suffer like this." She lets me go reluctantly. I slide onto my motorbike and start it up. This shit ends now.

Beck

Shouting rouses me from my dreams. Carefully sitting up I get up and wander into the hallway. Following the voices I come to the kitchen, watching a horrified and angry Mimi slam the door shut. She turns and sees me and sighs. "My brother is going to get himself hurt."
"Ky, is he here?" My head rotates almost three-sixty to find a trace of him but he's nowhere near. My excitement deflates even further when Mimi tells me where he's gone and why.
"Oh no!"
"Yes, my baby fucking brother is going to land himself in prison because of you and your damn Daddy issues." She spat, taking out the milk from the fridge and filling a pint glass full. "And my diet is ruined." She quietly adds as she pours milkshake mix to the milk.
Suddenly a surge of anger takes over, "excuse me but you were obviously the one who told him. I was asleep this whole time. Don't you dare blame me. I came here for help and look at what good that got me." I don't shout. I don't yell. But for the first time in my life I am actually sticking up for myself. I give myself a mental pat on the back and decide to return to the bedroom to change. When I return fully dressed I head for the door.
"Beck, I'm sorry. It's not your fault. I just don't want my brother to get hurt, or worse."
"I know that." I turn to her. "That's why I'm leaving."
"What?" She scurries over to me. "No, don't please. I honestly didn't mean it."
"I'm leaving to go save the man I love."