Chapter Thirty Eight: Brightest Star and Shifting Stones

Getting back to Alexandria was tense, I was mad and I knew that Daryl was as well. I didn't want to have to ever feel like I had to choose between my brother and husband again. At that moment I was so lost and so mad, I didn't know what to do. When we got back I jumped off the bike and hugged Michonne and Carl tightly.

"Are you both okay?" Carl asks. I smile tightly at him.

"We're safe." I vaguely answer.

"And Rick?" Michonne asks.

"Sticking with the plan," I say as I watch Daryl walk away. "Everyone here okay?"

"Fine." Carl answers and I smile again.

"Judith?" I ask.

"At the house." Carl answers. "Come on." I wrap my arm around his shoulders as we walk to the house with Michonne. After a shower and some sleep, I get up to look for Daryl. I can't find him or Michonne anywhere. Carl then tells me that they left about an hour after we got back. Michonne and Rosita get back before the others to tell us that Tara and Daryl were going on with the plan to smash the dumpster truck into the Sanctuary wall, letting the walkers inside. My heart started to feel too heavy, I didn't know how many more stones I could add to it.

I sit in a chair by the gate for 2 more hours before I hear a car driving up. The person on lookout nods, indicating it's safe for the person manning the gate to open it. As the gate opens I stand up anxious to see who it is. Relief hits me as I see Tara and Daryl, neither looking harmed. As the relief subsides my original anger sets in and I glare at them both as they get out of the car.

"I... I'm going to go look for Rosita..." Tara says as she sees my anger.

"Glad you're safe." I clip, my tone is not friendly.

"Yeah..." She nods walking away quickly. I turn my glare to Daryl. He stands there his arms crossed his face blank a lot like it used to be when we first met, this for some reason angers me more.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!" I burst.

"No, because it worked." He growls out.

"Oh, really? And you know this for certain."

"It's going to work, woman."

"You know this 100%, Daryl?" Exasperated I ran my hand down my face.

"You've never questioned my plans before, why now, huh?" He asks, getting in my face.

"Get out of my face." I push him back from me. "You're going against the plan Daryl."

"That's not what you're mad about and you know it." He growls again stepping back up to me. "Say what you're really mad about."

"You're acting out of line Daryl, your actions can get us killed," I growl, pushing him harder this time.

"All actions can get us killed, women, yours, mine, or Rick's. You're mad because I got in a fight with him." He argues stepping back and grabbing my hands to keep me from pushing him again.

"You put him in a chokehold, Daryl. Yes, I'm angry about that because I don't want to ever have to choose between you or him again." I try to move my arms but he keeps my hands locked in his."I couldn't choose Daryl, I love you both too much too. And if your actions get either of you killed, I will never forgive you!" I can feel the tears start to well up, he frowns at me and looks away. "We've lost too many people already Daryl. We're family, we have to stick together or this war will end with us dead, not the Saviors." I see him nod at someone behind us and I turn to see Michonne.

"I'm glad you came back," She smiles at Daryl, as I pull a hand out of his and turn fully to her. "It's better we go out there together."

"It worked," Daryl tells her. "We'll roll in, tell them to give up, they're going to give up."