"They got us cut off." Aaron said.

"No, no, no, no. No, no." Eugene repeated in a panic.

"So we'll back track. We'll go around 'em." Daryl said.

"Old Route 28 isn't far. It's the straightest shot back to the horses." Jesus said.

"Lead the way." Aiden said. Aaron and Daryl both helped Eugene. Jesus and Nathaniel both led the way and Aiden took the rear.

»

"It's doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have doubled back like that." Jesus said. "And they definitely shouldn't have followed us all the way to the barn."

"I do have a theory to posit. The walkers are evolving." Eugene stated.

"Oh, that's bullshit." Daryl turned to him.

"What?" Aiden asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"They're dead, not evolving," Jesus said to him.

"Being dead hasn't exactly stopped them from perambulating ad infinitum, though, has it?" Eugene asked. "They're not dead in any sense that makes sense. It takes an impact for the cranium to stop them, which means the brain is alive, dreaded as that may be. And if it's alive, it can change. Maybe even start to relent things, too, like how to talk."

"Okay, that... that makes sense." Nathaniel stated.

"Scarily enough," Aiden spoke up.

"It's not any crazier than the dead being alive in the first place," Jesus said and he wasn't wrong. "If they can learn to talk, maybe they can learn strategy and how to hunt."

Then they were screwed.

"They're right on our asses." Aaron said as he ran out of the woods, "we've gotta get to the horses fast."

"You have to leave me behind." Eugene said, "I'm slowin' you down and tirin' you out. Every time we stop the dead get closer."

"No! We came out here to find you- we're not going home without you." Jesus said to him sternly.

"You don't have a choice." Eugene said.

"It's not your call," Jesus then said. "The numbers actually work for us. We can split up. You four get him to the horses. I'll wait here and then I'll draw them off in the others direction."

"No, no." Aiden shook her head, "no one is staying behind with this herd."

"Then I'll ditch them and meet you back at the Hilltop," Jesus finished.

"We're stronger together." Nathaniel said, his eyes locking with his boyfriends.

"That doesn't help us. Our only way out of this is to avoid a fight." Jesus said.

"Anyone stays, it's gonna be me." Daryl said.

"Then I'm staying, too." Aiden stepped up.

"Nah. You gotta get back to our kids, Aiden. Go. Hell, I'll probably beat you back." Daryl said.

"I love you." Aiden said to him, her eyes speaking words.