Chapter 5: Welcome to the Republic

Start from the beginning

???: Hey, I'm trying to help!

Niner: You are not authorized to touch or maintain my chassis. Any further attempts will result in retaliation.

???: Fine, I'm working on your leg then, and you can-

Rounding the crates as R4 cut off the voice with a couple of beeps and boops. Jerome looked to see a blue-skinned Twi'lek woman standing with Niner's severed leg, a pair of welding goggles sitting atop her head, and her cheeks were stained with different shades of grease. The woman, having been refused by the droid before her, started to look over the leg in her hands, Jerome ended up leaning on the crate beside the droid in question, the women in front of him so engrossed in her work to notice.

???: Alright, let's see what's broken.

Jerome: Servos are all busted, wirings severed, and all the plating needs to be replaced. Plus, I believe that leg isn't yours to fix.

He said, the Twi'lek jumping with a yelp, fumbling with the leg before clutching it and meeting Jerome's gaze, the two roughly being around the same height.

???: O-oh, so you're this droid's owner?

Jerome: I walked onboard with him on my back, more or less. Names Jerome Cooper, and you might be?

He asked, holding out an arm as the Twi'lek composed herself and grasped his hand, the two shaking as she spoke.

Tayler: Tayler Eris, ship mechanic. Found your droid like this, and my tendency just kicked in. Never get the chance to work on droids a lot, much less anything combat capable.

She said, staring down at Niner with intrigue before glancing at the leg she still held onto. Jerome felt a smile grow as he watched her joyful expression return. 

Jerome: I get the feeling, worked as a general repair guy, well before the attack. Guess that's gone now... To think all I have to my name is two droids, a pair of lightsabers, and what remains in these crates.

He said suddenly, his mood shifting drastically as his gaze fell towards the crate he leaned against, running a hand over one's surface. The others looked among each other for a moment as a tear fell down Jerome's cheek and landed atop the crate with the sudden flow of emotions. Sighing softly, Talyor stepped forward and gingerly placed a hand on his shoulder, the young man looking at her as she gave a soft smile.

Tayler: Hey, why don't I help you fix up your droid here? The trip will take a couple of days; maybe you can show me a thing or two, and I can show you how to work on these fighters, sound good?

She offered, Jerome nodding slightly before wiping the tears from his eyes.

Jerome: Yeah, sounds good...wait, aren't hyperdrives supposed to be almost instantaneous? Like, open a portal and appear on the other side where you want?

He asked as Taylor giving him a raised brow before she stepped back and set the droid leg aside.

Taylor: No, I mean, I have no idea how hyperdrives work, but I've never heard of faster-than-light travel being instantaneous. Where did you hear that from?

Jerome: From a couple of Hiigarans.

Tayler: Hiigarans? Never heard of them. Then again, only a few of the crew are from the Terrain sector itself. Anyway, we're getting off-topic; there's time to kill, so why don't we get this show on the road?

Tayler said as she placed a hand under her chin, looked around the hanger, and started muttering. All the while, Jerome got off the crate he was leaning upon and pried it open, revealing the discarded limbs and chassis of two damaged commando droids. Upon turning around, the mechanic's eyes opened wide as Jerome fished a complete replacement leg from the crate before shutting it again, propping the limb against his shoulder as he grabbed a toolbox.