01 ♚ Anything Can Happen, Continued

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," Emilio laughed. "Before you came in, I had just asked Ethan if he still loved you."

Boy.

Boy, oh, boy.

Spencer's face fell, but showed no other signs of panic. He drank some of his coffee. "Really?" He looked at me. His eyes were so, so, soft. So brown. How didn't I just melt into a puddle of myself right here. "Are you?"

"Long version?" I asked. "It's complicated." I swallowed. Was time just slowing down or was I in the middle of some time manipulating stroke? "Short version? Um. Uh. Huh. Ugh. Completely."

Emilio nodded. Very. Slowly. Spencer nodded. Very. Very. Slowly. Me and my big fucking mouth. Fuck.

"Awesome," Emilio said. Out of nowhere. "I don't think it's a great idea. But. I support it if Spencer does."

"If I support his feelings for me?" Spencer asked. "I don't think he needs my support to feel what he feels."

"And how do you feel?"

I said it before I could clasp my mouth.

Spencer blinked at me. Emilio sat up straighter. "Don't answer that Spencer."

I frowned. "Why not?"

"It's just the first day back. Where's the buildup or drama?" Emilio argued. "The least you can do is kiss in the rain or something."

"I think Ethan and I have a lot of things to work through being friends...before anything," Spencer mumbled.

I stared at him. "Friends?"

"Yes. Just friends. I think...we should get reacquainted whenever you're back in the city." He paused, cocking his head. "How long are you here?"

"Originally, it was just for the night, maybe till morning. Then I'm back to training."

"You made the team?" he asked. He lit up. And so did I. He cared at least.

"Try-outs. I can be ousted at any time."

"Football?" Emilio asked.

I nodded. I turned back to Spence. "They say I'm good. And they could use the diversity."

The both of them snorted. I furrowed my brows. "You're a white boy," Emilio chuckled.

"Only on the outside," I replied. "Besides, they meant sexuality. It's a good look if they have a gay guy on the team. Makes them look all inclusive."

Spencer's phone buzzed and he rolled his eyes (I thought I'd never say this, but seeing him roll his eyes again felt amazin;  orgasmic).

"Is it your case?" E, er, Emilio, asked.

"What case?" I asked, before Spencer answered him.

He looked over at me. "Yeah, I'm defending some asshole who is on trial for murdering his wife."

I went wide eyed. "Aren't you a junior associate at your firm?" I probed. "That sounds like a big case."

"I'm only second chair," he answered. "Meaning, I'm just observing really. But still, I'm defending this guy who killed his wife, stuffed her in his trunk and then threw her into a river."

I blinked. "Allegedly, right? Innocent until proven guilty?"

"Oh no, he definitely killed her, put her in his trunk and then threw her in the river," Emilio said, checking his phone casually. He stood up. "That means we have to head back to the office."

"O...kay." I coughed and stood when Spencer did.

Emilio looked at me and nodded just slightly. "I'll go and run ahead to get the car here."