Six - Tyler

chapter song - who by Lauv ft. bts

 "Okay, so, is it weird to go to a club alone and maybe end up bringing a girl home?"

Kyle is silent on the other end.

I kick my feet up onto the armrest of the couch where I'm lounging; grey sweatpants and t-shirt being my basic dress style since the accident. The TV plays in the background but I don't really listen - it's been about four days since I arrived in Canada and I'm already getting cabin fever from being cooped up alone.

"I mean like," I try again. "Is it...creepy? Or is it ok? Like socially acceptable?"

"I don't know, man," Kyle says. "I mean, I guess? I'm sure people go to clubs alone when they're on vacation, right? They can't be spending the whole time alone. But, are you really wanting to randomly hook up with someone? Didn't you want time for yourself?"

"No," I sigh. "You guys want me to take time for myself. I've told you all that I don't want to do that. I spent most of college and the years after working all the time. And then when I was about to get my big break, I only got to go out and let go a couple times. I've been stuck in my head for years, Kyle. I'm tired of being alone. And if one night with a hot girl will change that, then I will grab onto it.

Kyle sighs. "Alright, alright. I know. I just worry, you know that."

"Yeah, I know grandad," I say and can already see Kyle rolling his eyes. "I'm not sure how successful I'm gonna be out there without my favourite wing man."

"Wing man?" Kyle scoffs. "I rarely went out with you. If you can remember, Ty, you were the big-shot football player and I was stuck with my thick rimmed prescription glasses because I couldn't afford new ones which made me look nerdy. Being a computer science major didn't help that."

"Are you still crying over your parents calling you a nerd?" I ask.

There's silence. "...No."

"Fucking liar."

"Fine," Kyle huffs. "Then yes, I think it's creepy and predatory to go to a club by yourself to get a girl."

"Kyle!" I snap.

He laughs on the other end. "You'll be fine. Go to a bar or a club, do whatever. Will it be awkward? I mean yeah, probably. Most people go to these places with friends. Or at least with a tinder date. Going alone and approaching women is going to come across as weird."

I sigh and shove my head into the pillow, letting Kyle laugh on speakerphone from the coffee table.

"Are you throwing a fit?" He asks.

"Shut up," I grumble, but it's muffled by the pillow so has less of an impact.

"Look, go to a bar maybe? Those are less weird to go to alone," he says. "Especially if you're just wanting to get some drinks."