Chapter Eight: Part 2

Before he could second guess the thought, Maddox said, "I know a woman who is looking for a job. She – um – has just arrived in New York, too. I could arrange a meeting. In fact, I might be able to introduce the pair of you now – she was having luncheon down the road."

Miss Kilbrierry frowned. "Does she have any experience, Lord Maddox? Does she know anything about fashion?"

Everything, he was tempted to say. He had always regarded her as one of those empty-headed females who lived for their clothes, but – in fairness – the Julia at the dinner table the last few nights had been better read and more intelligent than he expected. "She understands English fashion," he commented. "She has just arrived from England." On an inspiration, he added, "She has spent most of her life in the houses of the upper aristocracy; dukes and marquesses. People like that."

Miss Kilbrierry's eyes hardened. "She is unlikely to wish to work for me, then, Lord Maddox."

Why ever not? Was Miss Kilbrierry so dismissive of English nobility? Or did she expect a maid from such a house to scorn her? Maddox should leave it, but instead he said, as persuasively as he could, "Won't you at least meet her, Miss Kilbrierry?"

With her agreement, he excused himself, "For no more than five minutes," then raced down the street and caught Gills and Lady Julia just as they were exiting the tearoom.

"Lady Julia, I have an interview for you. A solo violinist I will be working with is looking for a dresser. A Miss Kilbrierry. Are you interested? She is waiting to meet you now."

Gills protested, but subsided when Lady Julia said, "Yes, please! Do I look tidy? And dull?"

She had changed into the brown dress, so she looked both, and washed out to boot, her brown hair and eyes all but melting into the high neckline, not a ruffle or bow to be seen.

"Oh, Gills, this is so exciting! Thank you, Lord Maddox." She spun in a circle. "Is my hair in order? Do I have spinach in my teeth? It was in the pie, and I was a little worried... But we are keeping the lady waiting."

Gills stopped Maddox as he made to cross the road. "Kilbrierry, did you say? Miss Emily Kilbrierry?"

"Yes. Do you know her?"

Gills shook his head. "Not personally. My father and her mother were... well, that is not important. She is something of a family connection."

Well, that was curious, but he'd get the details out of Gills later, most likely when there were no ladies in the room.

"You go on, Mad. I'll wait here for Lady Julia."

***

The gentleman who had been sitting with Miss Kilbrierry took his leave as soon as they returned to the restaurant, but Julia was not offered a seat, so she remained standing across the table from her potential employer. Lord Maddox remained on his feet, too, putting his hand on her back with the lightest pressure, until Julia stepped forward slightly, not wishing Miss Kilbrierry to get the wrong impression of their relationship.

"Miss Kilbrierry, may I introduce Miss Julia Marloughe?"

Julia quelled the sharp look at Maddox introducing her, rather than the other way around. She had to keep reminding herself she was in the role of a servant now, and not entitled to any special treatment due her former position. She made a brief curtsy, trying not to stare at the woman's dark skin. America was certainly an odd place, where the daughter of a marquess might end up waiting on a dark-skinned artiste who wore the latest fashions, probably straight from Paris. But skin colour was not relevant. Julia needed work, and this rich violinist had a job that needed doing.

She was reminded suddenly of the gossip that followed Gills' father, the Marquess of Coventon, until his death three years ago. He'd kept the most famed Indian courtesan in London's history as a mistress before he was married, and later, after his wife left him to live in their country house, took another Indian girl into his keeping, all but living in the house he bought for her. It had ruined his family utterly and was at least half the reason Gills was considered unmarriageable.

Well, that and his penchant for rich older women who paid his bills, and the unfounded rumours that he ruined girls for sport. Julia knew that gossip was baseless, as it had been started by her husband, after Gills stole the actress he wanted for his mistress, years ago. As far as Jewel knew, he was no more a rake than any other gentleman his age. Not that she would tell Gills that.

But now, Jewel had much more pressing concerns, such as supporting herself and repaying Gills and Lord Maddox, so they would hold nothing over her.

"Miss Kilbrierry, Lord Maddox says you have a place for a dresser."

"And are you one, Miss Marloughe?"

"Not precisely, no, but I have considerable experience in some of the great houses of England. I was a... er... a lady's maid, you see." Lord Maddox's mouth turned down, but he wasn't the one facing destitution or prostitution. He could judge her for her lies forever, as long as he didn't expose her.

"I see." Miss Kilbrierry tried to look Julia in the eye, but she dropped her head, as she assumed a servant should do anyway. "Have you an eye for fashion? I assume you can sew?"

"I... yes, Ma'am. Yes to both questions." She had been lucky she knew how to sew, as little as Athol allowed her to spend.

"I pay four dollars per week, payable twice a month, and I expect you to keep your own accommodations. I do not have servants live in."

Julia rapidly did the math in her head, translating from pounds sterling to American dollars, nearly choking at the result. Four dollars per week! That was a fortune! More than twice her pin money from Athol. Back when there was money to dole out to her.

"Your schedule will vary, as I will need you most often in the evenings, before and after I perform, but I will expect all of my clothing to be kept in good repair. I have no need for anyone to do my hair or dress me; I find it simpler to take care of my ablutions myself."

"Yourself! But, Ma'am—" Julia stopped short even before Miss Kilbrierry's eyebrows shot up. "Excuse me, Miss Kilbrierry. I spoke out of turn."

"Indeed. Are my terms acceptable to you?" Her new employer's tones had turned frosty.

Julia bobbed another curtsy. "Yes, Miss Kilbrierry. I will be pleased to have the work. It will be a great honour." Perhaps that was doing it a bit too brown, but Miss Kilbrierry's voice softened.

"Excellent. I must leave now, as I have another appointment, but I will send word when I am ready for you to start work; it will be within the next few days, once I have settled a few matters. Lord Maddox can provide me your direction?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

As soon as she left the restaurant, Julia clapped her hands and threw her arms around Lord Maddox's neck. "Did you hear that, Lord Maddox? She hired me!"

Lord Maddox gently removed her arms from his person and set her arm's length away, a blush rising in his cheeks. "Er, yes, that is excellent news. Quite extraordinary."

"I must tell Gills! Let us go find him right away!"