My Best Friend's Brother

I sat in Paige’s bedroom at her desk. We were painting out nails and getting ready for our first middle school dance. It was a winter formal, and luckily, we weren’t going to a competition. It was nice just to be kids sometimes. Some part of me hated the cameras being around all of the time, but part of me missed them while they were away.

“So are you going to dance with that new kid?” I asked Paige. She sat on her bed, flipping through a magazine.

“If he wants to dance with me, then sure,” Paige giggled. She looked up from the magazine and asked, “Are you going to dance with Josh?”

“Paige stop,” I smiled. “I know Josh will never like me the way I like him, so your question is irrelevant.”

“C’mon, Chlo! I bet he does like you, you just don’t know it.” Paige smiled. “I’ll go ask him, right now!”

“No, Paige. Don’t do…” But she was gone.

I sighed and turned back to my white nails that I had just finished polishing with sparkles. I blew on them and thought about the possibility of Josh even having half the feelings for me that I have for him. I knew I shouldn’t like my best friend’s brother, but it was so hard not to. He was just so cute. From the way he crinkled his nose when he laughed down to the way he wiggled his toes when he was nervous. I heard the door open, but I didn’t look up. I knew it was Paige. It could’ve been Brooke, but only if she wanted something.

“So?” I asked. “What did he say?”

I felt the chair turn around, and suddenly I was looking into Josh’s green eyes. I felt his warm yet rough hand against my face. He was sitting on his knees in front of me. I glanced from his eyes down to his lips. Then I got this itchy feeling in the bottom of my stomach that Paige made him do this.

“Chloe,” Josh said.

“Josh,” I trembled.

Then I felt a warm embrace on my cheek. And then saw Josh’s smiling face. I glanced back and forth between his eyes as I placed my hand on his cheek. Next thing I knew, I had the sweet taste of his lips on mine.

Josh whispered, “Save a dance for me?”  

I nodded, “Of course.”