Chapter XXVII: June-July 1460

Start from the beginning

­-They sailed from Calais and reached the Kent shores on the 26th, and Kent has declared for them. Traitorous southerners. They march henceforth to London. The King's army is on the move from Coventry. I must fortify the Tower for His Grace to defend the city against the traitors. I shift uncomfortably, for in my eyes they are not traitors. York has the senior claim to the throne, he was descended from King Edward III's eldest daughter, the second child, and the pretender King Henry his third child, having usurped their place, and shown himself unfit. York and his followers just declare his birthright and the true line of succession. I have no doubt he wants to be King Richard of England- although the last King Richard was born to much unhappy misfortunes, deposed and murdered by King Henry's Lancastrian ancestors. But where is York? There is no mention of him and Edmund coming from Ireland to join them...? What can they be plotting?

-Elizabeth, daughter, as commander of the Tower, with our kinsman here also, Lord Hungerford, we must fight against the Yorkists and defend the Tower. Many noblewomen seek refuge here with us. I pray you are in good health. Be dutiful and care for my dear wife Emme, and if any danger should befall you, I trust you have good contacts. I look up at Bessie, who is biting her lip, face pinched, as have the faces of many over these past few weeks as we wait to hear what shall occur. Why does my Father write so strangely with an underlying tone of care? Why would he say such of his wife if he truly had another marriage planned, one to disinherit me?

"Should I tell my Lady Mother of this news?" I ask of her, for despite being mature, I still look to her, my old friend, for such guidance. "'Twill worry her to think of my Father defending himself at the Tower in such peril," I swallow, "against the Yorkists." Bessie pats my arm sympathetically. My Father and my kinsman Edward by marriage are to fight against each other, and I cannot bear the thought. 'Tis taxing for me, torn betwixt Lancaster and York. I want the Yorkists to triumph, but what should that mean for those of Lancaster? I wish no evils to befall neither us nor my Father in London. Oh, why do they have to fight?

"My Father will be fighting against his own godson!" I suddenly cry, thinking of Edward. I feel my knees weaken a little as I gulp, taking a deep breath. This is how far we have come. I turn back inside abruptly, striding along the drawbridge unsteadily, running my hands through my hair. Godson against godfather; father against son; brother against brother; cousin against cousin. We are all so torn apart now. We have come to this. My friends and family, on opposing sides. My head reels.

I whip around to Bessie, who has scurried after me. "I hate this war. We fight our own blood, we spill our own blood. This war has to end- York must seize this chance, come across the Irish seas, and end this now. His ambition cost me Henry; his plunder lost me Anthony, my Father waits to clash with his party far away in London. Men are dying because of this. This war has to stop. It must stop. Bessie, Bessie," I grab her hands and shake them; "it is tearing me apart, where my loyalties lie!"

*****

As the temperature rises as we climb into July, so does the tension across the land. I almost wish I were still residing at Little Easton or another of Lady Isabel's Essex manors, for then we could receive news of the happenings in the city quicker. For even the fastest messengers who bring to us our letters and news are a few days late- so much could suddenly occur and I would not know of any immediate threat, for my Lady Mother seems much too wearied to give one care. Where is the formidable, sharp-tongued woman of my childhood? I pray for all the saints to intercede and say Hail Marys until my throat runs dry for her to recover. I do not want her to slip away from me at such uncertain times such as these. I refuse to accept her increasing waning life. She must recover. How can my mother...die? How can we have reached that point?